PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] messed up my $PATH and /sbin

linxlimbo
May 6th, 2013, 10:46 PM
While switching from KDE to XFCE i managed to mess up my $PATH (least I believe). When i enter
ifconfig into my terminal i get the error.

Command 'ifconfig' is available in '/sbin/ifconfig'
The command could not be located because '/sbin' is not included in the PATH environment variable.
This is most likely caused by the lack of administrative privileges associated with your user account.
ifconfig: command not found

when i echo $PATH i get
echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games

so far my googling has found a temp fix
export PATH=/sbin:$PATH

so far I have reached two questions. Is this the best method of restoring my /sbin path? and how do i make it perminant?

papibe
May 6th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Hi linxlimbo.

If you dynamically changed it in a terminal, just close it and open a new one.

If you don't want to close your terminal, try this:

source /etc/environment
Hope it helps. Let us know how it goes.
Regards.

linxlimbo
May 6th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Thanks papibe for the quick reply,
unfortunately when i
source /etc/environment and then quit out of terminal and open a new one the same warning comes up.

papibe
May 6th, 2013, 11:11 PM
I see.

I think you made a permanent change, then.

Do you remember what file did you change?

Could you post the result of this command?

grep PATH ~/.*
Regards.

linxlimbo
May 7th, 2013, 12:17 AM
this wasn't a recent change so nothing that can be pulled from recent history, i'm not sure if you can find what you're looking for in there. But here's the outcome of your request

/home/user/.bash_history:export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin
/home/user/.bash_history:export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
/home/user/.bash_history:echo $PATH
/home/user/.bash_history:export PATH=/sbin:$PATH
/home/user/.profile:# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
/home/user/.profile: PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"

papibe
May 7th, 2013, 02:26 AM
By any chance did you edit files on /etc?

Could you post the result of this command?

grep -i path /etc/bash.bashrc /etc/profile
Regards.

linxlimbo
May 7th, 2013, 02:43 AM
that grep results in nothing, big issue?

linxlimbo
May 7th, 2013, 02:54 AM
I just looked into "bash" and came across this article about bash and the order it invokes.
.bashrc exsists, but .bash_profile doesn't. Is this the issue? If so, where is echo $PATH pulling from? because if I perform the same command under root it results in a different answer.

papibe
May 7th, 2013, 02:59 AM
bash_profile doesn't. Is this the issue?
Not really.

I perform the same command under root it results in a different answer.
That sounds like a good thing. I'm guessing you set the changes only for your account and not for the whole system.

Let's compare you bash config files with the base ones. Could you post the result of these 2 commands?

diff /etc/skel/.bashrc ~/.bashrc

diff /etc/skel/.profile ~/.profile
Regards.

linxlimbo
May 7th, 2013, 08:13 PM
neither of those commands result in anything, does this mean there's no difference?

Edit: after reading up on this command and doing a quick manual command I realize this is just showing there is no difference between the two files.

linxlimbo
May 7th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Also if I look at my /etc/environment it tells me that /sbin is found within it. Doesn't this mean that sbin is included in my environment that is originally loaded at login?

PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games"

papibe
May 7th, 2013, 09:00 PM
Yes.

In a system with no mods, you should end up with that path after login. If you have guess account enabled, you may tried login in as guess and check what path you end up with.

Regards.

linxlimbo
May 8th, 2013, 03:16 PM
I'm also finding that applications are reinstalling themselves to, or are not fully removing themselves when they state they are. Take for example conky
if i do a purge, autoremove or remove terminal states that conky isn't installed. But if i restart the computer up pops conky, and I can do a quick locate to see some of the important conky files are back like .conkyrc and /etc/conky. Does this mean that they are installed to a different location, and when i'm trying to remove them i'm trying to remove them from a different place then they really are?

linxlimbo
May 8th, 2013, 03:17 PM
oh and made another account, got the same path that my user account has, which is minus the sbin path