PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit usb install does not boot

L3TH4LBR
May 6th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Hello,

I am trying to create a Live USB drive with Lubuntu 13.04 on it (with persistence) using Lili (Windows). It's a Sandisk 32GB USB3 flashdrive, and I used Lili on a Windows 7 Laptop (USB2) to install it with 640MB persistence (for now). However, when I try to boot, all it does is giving a black screen with a blinking cursor, even when I use my other computer on the USB 3 port.

The flashdrive is fully partitioned as FAT32 using EaseUS Partition Manager (Windows 8).

Did I do something wrong? Or is this a known issue and should I use another version of Lubuntu instead?

Thank you in advance.

Edit: Sorry for such a specific question, but I really need a live set-up like this because I don't want a dual boot.

kero4
May 8th, 2013, 01:56 AM
I was having an issue as well installing lubuntu 13.04 from usb so I resorted to CD install and it worked. It was quite odd as I never had that issue on any lubuntu version before this installing via USB.

Lightning Dragon
May 8th, 2013, 04:15 AM
Hi,

Last night I was also trying to install Lubuntu via Sandisk...and found out the USB brand is mostly unsupported (tested three of them!). I switched to a Toshiba USB and redid the install and it worked flawlessly. So it is your Sandisk USB. Do you have any other USB sticks lying around that you could use?

mörgæs
May 8th, 2013, 09:07 AM
There's some advice on Sandisk in the link in my signature.

L3TH4LBR
May 21st, 2013, 12:35 PM
I don't have any other flashdrives, so I'll try to fix my external Harddisk. If that doesn't work out either, I'll just have to see. Thanks a lot for your help!

Edit: Are flashdrives from corsair (USB 3.0 32GB) any good?

L3TH4LBR
June 11th, 2013, 08:48 AM
*bump*

I discovered what the problem is, it´s NOT my flashdrive, since an external HDD has the same issues.

It seems that my setup doesn´t support UEFI boot.

I installed Ubuntu on my flashdrive normally, including the bootloader. However I read that UEFI only supports booting from FAT32.

Could anyone tell me how I can repartition my flashdrive or harddrive so that is DOES support booting from UEFI?

P.S. I am working with Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS 64bits instead of Lubuntu.