PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Post 13.04 installation problems...

stuartbh
May 5th, 2013, 02:39 PM
ALCON,

After installing 13.04 followed by GNOME Classic, I am having some very major problems, any assistance would be appreciated!

1) I am unable to resize the system settings. I tried to edit the file /usr/share/gnome-control-center/ui/shell.ui and change <property name="resizable">False</property> to <property name="resizable">True</property> but it had no effect whatsoever.

2) When programs are minimized they disappear! I mean that usually there is a task bar of programs at the bottom when you minimize a program, that never appears at all -- Just a black bar! I have a black bar at the bottom (I had set a background when I first setup gnome) and there is no way to bring the program back, it just evaporates!

3) There used to be a small virtual desktop switcher in the lower right corner, that is gone entirely, any ideas here?

Unfortunately problem number 2 is big enough that it makes the entire installation of 13.04 unusable for me and will likely impel me to install 12.10 again until I can find a resolution.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help!

Stuart

ibjsb4
May 5th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Sounds like a install gone bad. Will a terminal update give you any clues?

stuartbh
May 5th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Sounds like a install gone bad. Will a terminal update give you any clues?

do you mean doing an "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade"?

You know, you might be right entirely actually! I remember that the installation had a problem installing kismet (during the upgrade) and it complained about the installation completing properly. Perhaps a fresh install again is a good idea.

Stuart

ibjsb4
May 5th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Yep an update && dist-upgrade may help.

Last time I had weird things (like you) happen, it was a combination of cheap disk and too high of a burn speed.

stuartbh
May 5th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Well, I tried the "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade" and it did little to help. I also did not use a CD, I just did a dd to a USB stick. I also checked the md5sum of the CD prior to using it.

I am also going to take a look at Debian maybe too. I was for quite a long time a RedHat type, but I switched to Ubuntu when I had problems with Fedora, then switched to CentOS. The CentOS forums were rather derisive to deal with so I moved to Ubuntu and have never really been dissatisfied with Ubuntu. The only thing about Ubuntu (over the long term) that I do not like is the fact they use Unity and not GNOME. But, so long as GNOME is still able to be installed after the fact I find Ubuntu usable.

Stuart

ibjsb4
May 5th, 2013, 05:30 PM
The classic desktop can still be found in all current releases. If you run 12o4, you will have classic support till 2017 (its an LTS and supported till then).

stuartbh
May 24th, 2013, 04:39 AM
In the end I simply reinstalled the OS and the issue evaporated.