PDA

View Full Version : mounting AD shares on ubuntu 12.04 server

atm123
May 5th, 2013, 02:08 PM
hi,
i had installed cifs-utils and smbfs in my 12.04 server for mounting a win AD share. also had an entry in the fstab file with a credentials file mapping the username and passwd for the windows AD share. it was working fine for a few days but stopped working all of a sudden. any help will be appreciated. thanks.

2F4U
May 5th, 2013, 03:49 PM
As far as I know, you have to configure Samba to join the Active Directory in order to be able to mount a share on the Windows 2012 Server:

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/samba-ad-integration.html

darkod
May 5th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Were you mounting the share by IP? Is it possible your AD server IP changed?

Is it possible a firewall on the AD server is blocking the connection now?

To start with, can you ping the AD server where the share is?

atm123
May 7th, 2013, 01:10 PM
thanks for the replies. i am sorry, guess i have to make my issue more clear.i have an svn server which is supposed to backup its svn stuff on to a windows 2008r2 file server share from which it goes to a tape library. so first i have to get the svn files from the svn server to the win file server. so thats why i had used "//servername/sharename /media/windowsshare cifs username=msusername,password=mspassword,iocharset= utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0" on the svn server which works. i also added an entry to fstab and it really worked after a couple of reboots automatically. but now all of a sudden i am not able to connect automatically. but the command mentioned above with cifs alone works when manually used. i was guided by this link: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently

darkod
May 7th, 2013, 01:40 PM
What if you use //serverIP/sharename? I don't know why, but it could happen that the ubuntu box is not reaching the windows box by name any more. By IP it should always work.

atm123
May 7th, 2013, 02:28 PM
i am actually using the ip and not the name. any other suggestions you have for mounting as per my requirement?

thanks

darkod
May 7th, 2013, 03:01 PM
No, all seems to be correct. As long as the username and password are still correct and active, it should work.
Another small modification I would do is not use the /media mount point. That is where removable media is usually mounted. You can create the same folder in /mnt like /mnt/windowsshare and use that as mount point. It's better to use /mnt than /media for permanent mounts. but it should work even with /media.