PDA

View Full Version : Reasons I (you) Love Ubuntu:

Adamant1988
July 12th, 2006, 04:06 PM
I know this has probably been done before but, I am bored. Just list yours...

Reasons I love ubuntu:

It feels like home: When you download and try another distro, it's like a stay at a nice hotel. It may be accomodating, but it's hardly as easy to move into as Ubuntu.

The community rocks: Other distros forums and chat rooms leave me wanting but the Ubuntu community can provide me with non-stop conversation and a great creative outlet (I'm now part of the marketing team :) )

Installing applications: A snap... You never realize how important those repos are until they're taken away from you. I has sled 10 installed on my laptop right now and I really miss the gnome-app-install application already. Although I still like the option to download my programs from websites, the repos make it infinitely easier. (although, is there a forum where we could put in package requests, etc.?)

The Human theme: It's professional, yet different. I like it.. You get so sick of everything being typical 'ergonomic' colors like blue or green. I wish the human theme was universal through the ubuntu distros.

hizaguchi
July 12th, 2006, 04:58 PM
- Apt-get

- The Add/Remove programs utility to show off "shopping for software" to prospective new users

- How easy it is to install just about anything, even if it isn't in the repositories thanks to Ubuntu's popularity and its...

- Incredible community forums

- That the development focus seems to be on stability and reliability first and fancy stuff later (vs Suse, where the focus seems to be on fancy interface first and releases are made with problems like outright broken package management)

- 1 CD install with no flaming hoops to jump through

- Most importantly: Only software unencumbered by patents/licenses is included in the basic installation. So I can use the OS anywhere for anything without worrying about legal issues down the road.

.t.
July 12th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Everything about it is better than nothing.

PapaWiskas
July 12th, 2006, 05:42 PM
The fact that updates dont screw up my computer.

I am able to use my computer and not spend the majority of my time maintaining it or fixing it due to glitches.

No BSOD.

No START button, I have always wondered what that meant, START...START what? Shouldn't it already have "STARTED"?

Ubuntu has made me WANT to learn things again, question how things work, how can I make it work better. It has been like stepping out of the fog.

The community support is just downright incredible!

The statement on the ShipIT CDs that says I am ENCOURAGED to make copies, distribute, modify the CD as I see fit.

The feeling of fearing Linux continues to fade away, and my confidence continues to grow because Ubuntu, Xubuntu just work.

Blondie
July 12th, 2006, 06:16 PM
The community - for both quantity and quality (in terms of helpfulness).

The wide range of software in the repos and the ease of use of apt.

The minimalist one program per function by default then customise to your heart's content approach. Doesn't install a set of menus that look like the control panel on a Boeing 747, but if you want something then just add it.

Very good hardware detection.

The Ubuntu philosophy - Debian for human beings. Doesn't compromise on ideals of free software but proprietary stuff is easy to get if and when you want it (with Automatix etc.).

ericesque
July 12th, 2006, 06:49 PM
read all of the above (and very likely: all of which follows) ;)