PDA

View Full Version : Xgl + Compix Vs. BumpTop 3D Desktop Prototype

amoore
July 12th, 2006, 04:05 PM
There is no doubt that Xgl + compiz is much loved by most Linux users. Its a shame that it wont be included the next version of Ubuntu. But maybe this is a good thing.... As of now Xgl + Compiz is the most modern window manager for Linx. The fokes over at Novel have done a great job of bringing the Linux Desktop to life giving it a real eye candy feel with function. But what if a better window manager comes out? This might one of the reasons be why Xgl + Compiz wont be included by default in the next version Ubuntu. aside from the fact that older hardware has problems running Xgl + Compiz.

So you might be asking what new window manager "might" be on the horizons? Well, Im not sure. but I saw this BumpTop 3D Desktop Prototype (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODskdEPnQ)
over at YouTube.com. While I'm not sure what OS or Distro its for but the BumpTop 3D Desktop Prototype looks intresting. I bet something like it could be made for Linux distros. Take a look!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODskdEPnQ

prizrak
July 12th, 2006, 04:59 PM
We had a thread about it somewhere and it basically came down to it being pretty nice for the eyecandy but more or less useless as a day-to-day desktop.

hizaguchi
July 12th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I do like the analogy of the computer desktop to an actual desk. Both are places that I keep stuff I'm working on temporarily and need to either get rid of or file very soon. (In other words, I'm not the kind of person who puts launchers and clocks and weather and stuff on my desktop... it's a workspace to me.)

Having said that though, I still hate this Bump Desktop idea. One of the things that makes my computer desktop superior to my actual desktop is that it is very easy to keep it un-cluttered. Why on earth would I want to enable myself to stack up icons and scatter them around so I can't even tell what they are? That's what I do with my real desktop, and I'm looking right now at a pile of stuff from 2 months ago!

ironfistchamp
July 12th, 2006, 05:28 PM
I love the idea personally. It would never work for me though. I would spend hours upon hours just throwing my documents about.

amoore
July 12th, 2006, 06:57 PM
As the originator of this post Im neither for nor aginst the idea of a desktop window manager. I just thought it looked intresting. With all the talk about Xgl + Compiz I thought it would be nice to see what other desktop window managers are out there. I personly use Xgl + Compiz and would like to see in the next ubuntu. That being said I dont use any other type of flashy desktop candy such "widgets" or a dock, but Im always up for seeing new inovations. Maybe someone will see it and run with it. Thats what linux is all about!!!! Remeber Apple's Newton. It didn't work well at the time when it came out. Today damn near everyone has a Ipod, Palm,or smart phone. All of these started with the Newton. Inovation is what makes computing powerful of course, some ideas won't work out but I like to keep an eye on whats going on. Looking at the options out there is what brought me to Linux and Ubuntu in the first place.

bruce89
July 12th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I personly use Xgl + Compiz and would like to see in the next ubuntu.

AFAIK, that isn't going to happen. Metacity 2.16.x will have Compositing features anyway.

mech7
July 12th, 2006, 07:25 PM
I really like XGL but it is quite unstable with some graphics programs.. the windows don't go awaw, transparant windows crashed a few times allready :(

But the effects are pretty :D

lapsey
July 12th, 2006, 07:45 PM
i wish people would pay more attention to intelligent file management and not gimmicks

i'm quite disappointed they didn't include a virtual user that you had to position through the virtual door and onto the virtual chair before you could use the virtual desktop

PhilipsHead
July 12th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Xgl + compiz in Ubuntu is a semiworking solution, on SuSE it's flawless.

I've used it since beta1 of SuSE 10.1 and it has not crashed ONCE, never had to restart compiz, works equally well on KDE and Gnome.

I think Ubuntu is focusing on other things and it's ok, it's not a major reason why anyone would choose Ubuntu anyway.

I will never use software that helps me keep my virtual desktop as disorganized as my real one though. :D

forrestcupp
July 12th, 2006, 07:51 PM
BumpTop 3d looks to me like an unorganized mess that would take longer to get anything done because you have to figure out where you threw whatever it is you're looking for. Why would you want to take something that has already been made to be organized and make it into an inefficient mess? I also won't like Xgl either until they get all the opengl bugs out (without workarounds) and get it to work with 3d acceleration better.

Dragonbite
July 12th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Don't forget that Red Hat has been working on AIGLX as an enhancement to the existing X Server (as opposed to XGL which is a new X Server if my understanding is correct).

Personally I'd rather the fancy eye-candy in Linux lag behind Apple and even Windows in return increased stability and performance.

forrestcupp
July 12th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Don't forget that Red Hat has been working on AIGLX as an enhancement to the existing X Server (as opposed to XGL which is a new X Server if my understanding is correct).

Personally I'd rather the fancy eye-candy in Linux lag behind Apple and even Windows in return increased stability and performance.

AIGLX looks promising, if only it was compatible with any video cards. Everyone promotes nVidia for Linux, but AIGLX doesn't work with nVidia yet.

PhilipsHead
July 12th, 2006, 09:46 PM

This is a common misunderstanding, try to uninstall xorg and run xgl...

xgl runs on top of the x server, AIGLX runs as an extension of the x server.

Xgl works now, it works flawlessly on many distributions (ubuntu is NOT one of them) but in time i can bet you $500 that we will see a project born that will implemt itself as a server extention that has most functions and a modular build, just like 7.0 has and 7.1 will have.

This is, of course, by the time hemmity blahety comes out (well just following the not making sense naming convention)

prizrak
July 12th, 2006, 11:10 PM
AIGLX looks promising, if only it was compatible with any video cards. Everyone promotes nVidia for Linux, but AIGLX doesn't work with nVidia yet.
AIGLX is better for other cards though. It works with the Intel cards that XGL tends to choke on because of the lack of power. As a laptop user who is stuck with an Intel card I care about that quite a bit :)

Personally I'm not a fan of either Xgl or BumpTop. It's all cool and new now but when the novelty wears out it gets boring. I ran Enlightenment on here for a while and it was hot and awesome and had cool effects but I got pretty damn tired of all the random effects when I just want to minimize my damn window. Xgl/AIGLX make sense in the hardware utilization department, if you use the CPU alot it's nice for the video card to take the load of drawing your windows but if you are on a portable that will be killing your battery life. This is really just eye candy and fun to play with but doesn't do anything revolutionary.
Here is something that will actually change the way people interact with computers and that will make it much more natural to use them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89sz8ExZndc&search=multi%20input%20

forrestcupp
July 13th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Here is something that will actually change the way people interact with computers and that will make it much more natural to use them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89sz8ExZndc&search=multi%20input%20

Now that's cool! Maybe in 50 years we'll all have that.

MaX
April 10th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Sorry to revive this old thread... but Bumtop is now out of beta...

http://lifehacker.com/5203531/bumptop-3d-desktop-manager-leaves-beta-testing