PDA

View Full Version : Any Thinkpad users here?

t430
May 4th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Hi,

I recently bought a T430. Installed Ubuntu on it and yeah its fun. Anyone else here has a Thinkpad ? If so, which model? Whats your experiece with Thinkpad+Ubuntu (Especially the Precise Pangolin) ?

Regards,
T430

codingman
May 4th, 2013, 09:31 PM
I have an old Lenovo that would be current-day Thinkpad. It works great with any Linux distro, with a few exceptions.

tgalati4
May 4th, 2013, 10:02 PM
IBM T43p running Jaunty. Runs well. Waiting for upgrade to Linux Mint Mate 14.

OrangeCrate
May 4th, 2013, 10:59 PM
IMO, ThinkPads and Linux go together like peanut butter and jelly. My guess would be, that there are a lot of them used by members of these forums. At the moment, I have one T42, one T43, and one X220. All three currently run Xubuntu 12.04.

prodigy_
May 4th, 2013, 11:07 PM
I used a Linux live CD with corporate T400s several times (mostly for wiping old HDDs with dd). Everything seemed to work though I mostly used command line.

rewyllys
May 5th, 2013, 12:05 PM
I'm writing this on a Thinkpad T420, which I've had for about 18 months now. It's the fourth Thinkpad in a row that I've owned, starting in 1993. I love especially the excellent feel of the keyboard, and I would never buy a laptop that lacked the little red button cursor control.

I've experienced excellent service with all of them. One of them failed after about 11 months; I've forgotten what went wrong with it. What I do remember well -- and happily -- is IBM's service after the failure. They overnighted a prepaid UPS shipping box to me; I sent the failed unit to them; and within 48 hours they had examined it, fixed it, and returned it to me, all at no cost to me!

The failure of that unit was the only problem I''ve experienced with any of my Thinkpads. And that unit worked perfectly for the next 4 or so years that I kept it, till I decided to update to a newer model.

I've been running Linux on them for the last 4 years, and I'm currently running Linux Mint Nadia. It installed flawlessly.