PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot boot from a liveCD or a Flash Drive

FrankJC
May 3rd, 2013, 04:45 PM
My system was automatically upgraded after a 6 month absence and I had difficulty with my graphics driver but the problem was solved. After that, I needed to move a directory (I have already moved the Home directory, so I was going to move /usr next.) To do that, I thought I would need a live installation disk so that I could work this out. It turns out that I am unable to use a liveCD or flash drive with Ubuntu on it. I have checked my memory and that doesn't seem to be the problem. Every time I try to boot I get a kernel panic error.... Kernel panic - not syncing - Fatal exception in interrupt. The screen just remains inactive with the cursor blinking. The only way to recover is to power down. I have tried several times and it always does the same thing. I certainly could use some advice.

I'm not sure how to trouble shoot this error. I could try a reinstall but I'm afraid I'll just get the same message and I won't have any system at all.

Thanks in advance for giving this matter some thought.http://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon7.png

2F4U
May 3rd, 2013, 05:20 PM
Sounds to me like either a bad download or a bad burn. Did you verify the checksum of the downloaded iso file? If the checksum is right, try to burn at the lowest possible speed. How did you create the live image on the flash drive?

FrankJC
May 3rd, 2013, 09:24 PM
I have used the flash drive on other machines and it works fine. I have tried several versions of Ubuntu including 12.04 and 12.01. I will try 11.10 and see what it does. brb

FrankJC
May 3rd, 2013, 09:33 PM
Well, I guess it must be the 12.04 and 12.10 CD's and the flash drive because I am using 11.10 live and it is working fine. Thank you for your help and I will try re-burning a 12.04 CD at a slower speed to see if it will boot. I'll let you know. Thanks for the info.