PDA

View Full Version : physical, non-computer related security

t0p
May 3rd, 2013, 01:47 PM
http://s2.hubimg.com/u/1364325_f260.jpg Anyone know what this type of door latch is called? They're very good, some rogue once tried to kick my front door in, and in the end he just kicked a hole in the door! The latch was still secure. But I need to buy some more and don't know what they're called. Web sites I've checked so far just call them "latches". Can anyone help?

Cheers!

Elfy
May 3rd, 2013, 02:30 PM
Try a search for door limiter, door limiting restrictor.

I'd give you links - but I'd hate to be the cause of a spam report :D

Found loads of UK suppliers with this search string

door limiter security

haqking
May 3rd, 2013, 02:50 PM
http://s2.hubimg.com/u/1364325_f260.jpg Anyone know what this type of door latch is called? They're very good, some rogue once tried to kick my front door in, and in the end he just kicked a hole in the door! The latch was still secure. But I need to buy some more and don't know what they're called. Web sites I've checked so far just call them "latches". Can anyone help?

Cheers!

swing arm door guard latch

cariboo
May 3rd, 2013, 07:25 PM
Try a search for door limiter, door limiting restrictor.

I'd give you links - but I'd hate to be the cause of a spam report :D

Found loads of UK suppliers with this search string

door limiter security

Why not, it's happened before. :-D

Elfy
May 3rd, 2013, 07:25 PM
:lol:

they were at least linux based links :P

Paqman
May 3rd, 2013, 07:49 PM
Doorthingamy, for sure.

mips
May 3rd, 2013, 09:03 PM
Whatever it's called it's only as strong as the screws & door frame holding it in place. Judging by those screws a kick or shoulder bump would dislodge it.

Dunno which country you are in and what your house is built of but over here you secure your locks with rawlbolts sunk into brick/concrete and you have about three different locks and a security gate to keep the bastards out.

CharlesA
May 4th, 2013, 01:13 AM
Whatever it's called it's only as strong as the screws & door frame holding it in place. Judging by those screws a kick or shoulder bump would dislodge it.

Dunno which country you are in and what your house is built of but over here you secure your locks with rawlbolts sunk into brick/concrete and you have about three different locks and a security gate to keep the bastards out.

Use your legs or you could dislocate a shoulder. :p

The doors where I live are hollow and would probably not withstand a good kicking - the door jam would probably break off cuz the screws are the weakest link.

QIII
May 4th, 2013, 01:19 AM
Large, aggressive dogs are perfect for such things. ;-)

t0p
May 5th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Thanks everyone, I now have some ideas.

Large, aggressive dogs are perfect for such things. ;-)

I've got a large, barky dog, but if intruders got in she would probably pin them down and lick them to death. I don't want to be responsible for such a horrific experience!

EDIT: How do I mark this thread as "solved"? I looked at the "Thread Tools" menu and didn't see an option for it.

CharlesA
May 5th, 2013, 03:44 PM
EDIT: How do I mark this thread as "solved"? I looked at the "Thread Tools" menu and didn't see an option for it.

Dunno what the deal is with the thread prefixes, but a few members have reported it too.

I have marked your thread as solved. :)

mips
May 5th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Use your legs or you could dislocate a shoulder. :p

Or just pick the lock :biggrin: but yeah over here you are not gonna kick or shoulder charge a door open, only thing that's gonna break is you. Same goes for kicking/punching a hole in a wall, that stuff only works in the US where they have false walls, over here it's brick & mortar.

The one day I went outside and the wind slammed the door closed behind me, the door handle had a little knob on the inside which was set to the lock position so I could not open the door again. So I went to my car in the garage to get my leatherman knockoff and cut myself a piece of wire from a ladder (no I don't know why the ladder had a piece of wire attached to it) I used the wire to pick the lock and got the door open. Thank goodness the yale lock on it was in the open position and the security gate required the turn of a key.