PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] blinking cursor in the middle of my X session shows everything I type

bitter_mike
May 2nd, 2013, 05:40 PM
When the X windows system starts and it gets to the login screen, there is a blinking cursor which looks like a 1 character wide xterm window (see this youtube video for an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y70BIb3BuJI). Whenever I type anything, it gets displayed on top of the graphical interface. This includes passwords or other hidden text. The text doesn't go away unless that portion of the screen refreshes or something and a window needs to be redrawn.

This started happening right after updates were installed which required a reboot. A bunch of kernel headers were installed. I have an ATI Radeon 4000 series graphics card and I'm using fglrx-legacy because the new fglrx driver no longer supports it. This cursor appears at the login screen, so it does not matter which windows manager I'm using.

I can't find any other posts about this, mostly because "blinking cursor" is usually associated with a blank screen, not this kind of terminal on top of a graphical environment phenomenon. Any thoughts?