PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help please, ubuntu 12.04 not insalling on windows vista business laptop

abenat
May 2nd, 2013, 04:22 PM
I have an old laptop (HP Compaq 6910p ) with windows vists business 32-bits
I was trying to install ubuntu to dual boot but on luck so far
l can only get pass the 1st stage when l choose try ubuntu or install and when l choose either of them it hungs up on a black screen with a little dash at the upper left hand conner
I have tried to live boot and install from both CD and USB, l have also tried
with wubi with on sucess. l have a 160 GB hard drive (Primary 98.32 GB NTFS for windows and 50.73 GB unallocated )
Processor: Intel (R) Core 2 Duo T7300 @ 2.0GHz
RAM: 2GB
Need help please newbee, thanks:P:confused:

bcbc
May 2nd, 2013, 05:20 PM
What graphics card? If nvidia or ati try nomodeset: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

Mark Phelps
May 2nd, 2013, 06:04 PM
IF it's a flashing little white line, then it is trying to load -- and that can take a LONG time. When it gets further into the loading process, that flashing cursor will disappear. So, you need to give it some time (several minutes, at least) to see if it gets beyond the flashing cursor.

oldfred
May 3rd, 2013, 06:18 PM
It should not take that long.
I am running 12.04 64 bit on a Toshiba with only 1.5GB of RAM. It still fully boots in less than a minute.
I purposely bought system the week before Vista was released so it had XP. It has an older slower CoreDuo processor with Intel graphics.

It looks like the HP has ATI/AMD graphics.