PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] LibreOffice Writer mistake?

madnbri
May 2nd, 2013, 10:36 AM
Hi,
I've got:
xubuntu 12.10 (waiting a bit before upgrading)
+ LibreOffice Writer 3.6.2.2 (from package list)
now...
But I had this at earlier versions of system and Writer and...
never worked correct at me.
Contets of current page disappear during typing. Is this completely useless or I forgot something to do (this second is the reason, I think)?
Thanks in advance:
m

Resistent
May 2nd, 2013, 05:34 PM
I am sometimes using LibreOffice Writer, but it never happened that the whole content disappeared (not in MS Office, not LibreOffice, not OpenOffice, not AbiWord).
--> I think it was your fault, somehow you selected all text. (and you did that very fast, you could not realize that everything is marked, or you did not look at the monitor).

On my Netbook, happens often, the cursor moves away so I am writing on the wrong position in the text. It's because the touchpad is very sensible.

madnbri
May 2nd, 2013, 07:07 PM
I am sometimes using LibreOffice Writer, but it never happened that the whole content disappeared (not in MS Office, not LibreOffice, not OpenOffice, not AbiWord).
--> I think it was your fault, somehow you selected all text. (and you did that very fast, you could not realize that everything is marked, or you did not look at the monitor).

On my Netbook, happens often, the cursor moves away so I am writing on the wrong position in the text. It's because the touchpad is very sensible.

No. When I type, the text disappears partially or completely. This happens at scroll also.
That's why LibreOffice Writer is useless at me.
Any other idea?

Resistent
May 2nd, 2013, 07:14 PM
No. When I type, the text disappears partially or completely. This happens at scroll also.
That's why LibreOffice Writer is useless at me.
Any other idea?

I think this is a visualisation problem. A bug.

And what happens when you only scroll down and than save the file, than reopen it. Can you see the whole text again ?

Did you already a restart of your system? Bugs only occur again, if you make the same steps as before, but you never know
which and how many steps lead to this problem, after restart and again trying the Writer, the chance is high that you
don't make the same step-chain again. So this why I think after restart it will not occur again.

madnbri
May 2nd, 2013, 09:35 PM
I think this is a visualisation problem. A bug.

And what happens when you only scroll down and than save the file, than reopen it. Can you see the whole text again ?

Did you already a restart of your system? Bugs only occur again, if you make the same steps as before, but you never know
which and how many steps lead to this problem, after restart and again trying the Writer, the chance is high that you
don't make the same step-chain again. So this why I think after restart it will not occur again.

Text is invisible only at scrolling. Save - restart Writer/sys: everything is ok still I do not type or scroll. This is returning problem any way.

Resistent
May 3rd, 2013, 01:01 PM
Text is invisible only at scrolling. Save - restart Writer/sys: everything is ok still I do not type or scroll. This is returning problem any way.

I meant restarting the whole Linux..

1. Can you try another "Desktop Enviroment" at login?

2. Did you make an update already?

sudo apt-get install update
sudo apt-get install upgrade

madnbri
May 3rd, 2013, 03:04 PM
I meant restarting the whole Linux..

1. Can you try another "Desktop Enviroment" at login?

2. Did you make an update already?

sudo apt-get install update
sudo apt-get install upgrade

1. No, I can't/I won't. XFCE was the best I found at Ubuntu, still Gnome had been gone.
2. Yes, I did many.

Resistent
May 3rd, 2013, 09:41 PM
1. No, I can't/I won't. XFCE was the best I found at Ubuntu, still Gnome had been gone.
2. Yes, I did many.

There is a new LibreOffice Version 4.2 !
Even you added the repository to be able to update LibreOffice, with "upgrade" you cannot catch it.

Here is how I solved to update (exaclty now), my LibreOffice 3.6.6.2 to Version 4.0.2.2 (Build ID: 400m0(Build:2)
Very important: use "dist-upgrade" instead of "upgrade".

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Looks like, for Ubuntu, a new Version of LibreOffice is not an update. It's a "new application"...

maybe you also read this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/252612/how-do-i-install-libreoffice-4

Buntu Bunny
May 4th, 2013, 02:03 AM
Madnbri, you didn't accidentally hit the insert key so that the text is being overwritten?

Resistent, I didn't know about the new version. I've been using LO a lot lately, so I'll have to look into this. Thanks

madnbri
May 4th, 2013, 03:20 PM
There is a new LibreOffice Version 4.2 !
Even you added the repository to be able to update LibreOffice, with "upgrade" you cannot catch it.

Here is how I solved to update (exaclty now), my LibreOffice 3.6.6.2 to Version 4.0.2.2 (Build ID: 400m0(Build:2)
Very important: use "dist-upgrade" instead of "upgrade".

Looks like, for Ubuntu, a new Version of LibreOffice is not an update. It's a "new application"...

maybe you also read this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/252612/how-do-i-install-libreoffice-4

OK. This is solved, but I have to share a thing:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
doesn't work. I don't know the reason, but I had to look for another way:

$ sudo update-manager -d
This is the X supported version of distribution upgrade, and this is the working way.

Resistent
May 6th, 2013, 10:28 PM
you also have to to first:

and then

sudo apt-get update

and then

You did it like this ??

madnbri
May 8th, 2013, 05:07 AM
you also have to to first:

and then

sudo apt-get update

and then

You did it like this ??

Yes, but didn't work. I couldn't observe which repositories was deleted by aptitude, maybe this one also.

And oh yes... That happened I always experience in Ubuntu at distro upgrade:
It is slow, doesn't work correctly and is all the lousy. I usually delete Ubi and choose another linux after googling.
...and googling now...