PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] UEFI + Dual boot (Windows 7 + Ubuntu 12.04 or 13.04)

Ippo 2001
May 2nd, 2013, 09:19 AM
Hi there, I'm trying to install ubuntu in dual boot with windows 7 on a Lenovo Ideapad Z500. This notebook use UEFI BIOS, but can be settled as legacy support.
I tried different configuration:

1- Bios Set-up: Legacy support, I can install windows 7 ultimate, but when I try to install ubuntu 12.04 or 13.04 I can't put it alongside to windows 7. if I choose other possibility, the program doesn't recognise the NTFS partition and so windows installation. I can only make a new installation of ubuntu deleting windows 7.
2- Bios Set-up: UEFI, I can install ubuntu but not windows 7 that stop during the first step.

The notebook has only one hard drive (1TB), The original O.S. is windows 8. In the Bios boot choice windows there is note that suggest to use UEFI only for windows 8 and for other O.S. Legacy support.

What can I do?

oldfred
May 2nd, 2013, 07:05 PM
I believe several users have installed Windows 7 in place of Windows 8 in UEFI mode. But you have to decide if you want UEFI or BIOS to boot.
Both Windows & Ubuntu have to be installed in the same mode, either both UEFI or both BIOS/CSM.
You do have to have secure boot off in UEFI. Then either UEFI mode or CSM/BIOS on. Different systems do it somewhat differently on how you specify that.

If drive was gpt and you install Windows 7 in MBR(msdos), you probably have to run fixparts as Windows only overwrites the primary gpt partition table, not the backup. Then Linux tools see both MBR and gpt and gets confused.
FixParts is the easiest way to remove the stray GPT data. GPT fdisk (gdisk or sgdisk) can do it, but the procedure's a bit more involved.
http://www.rodsbooks.com/fixparts/

Windows only boots from gpt partitioned drives with UEFI, or from MBR drives with BIOS.
Ubuntu will boot from gpt drives with either UEFI or BIOS, or from MBR drives with BIOS. But if Windows is UEFI and Ubuntu BIOS you cannot easily dual boot.

Post this:

sudo parted /dev/sda unit s print

Ippo 2001
May 2nd, 2013, 09:48 PM
Thank for your reply, here is the report:

andrea@ubuntu:~$ sudo parted/dev/sda unit s print
[sudo] password for andrea:
sudo: parted/dev/sda: command not found
andrea@ubuntu:~$

Ippo 2001
May 2nd, 2013, 10:07 PM
Ok I runned fixparts as in the link you posted me. and this is the results.

andrea@ubuntu:~$ sudo fixparts /dev/sda
[sudo] password for andrea:
FixParts 0.8.4

Loading MBR data from /dev/sda

NOTICE: GPT signatures detected on the disk, but no 0xEE protective partition!
The GPT signatures are probably left over from a previous partition table.
Do you want to delete them (if you answer 'Y', this will happen
immediately)? (Y/N): y
Erasing GPT data!

MBR command (? for help): p

** NOTE: Partition numbers do NOT indicate final primary/logical status,
** unlike in most MBR partitioning tools!

** Extended partitions are not displayed, but will be generated as required.

Disk size is 1953525168 sectors (931.5 GiB)
MBR disk identifier: 0x685C012D
MBR partitions:

Can Be Can Be
Number Boot Start Sector End Sector Status Logical Primary Code
1 * 2048 206847 primary Y 0x07
2 206848 629352447 primary Y 0x07
3 629352448 1258498047 primary Y 0x07
5 1258500096 1953521663 logical Y Y 0x07

MBR command (? for help):

oldfred
May 2nd, 2013, 10:41 PM
It looks like fixparts fixed parts.

I think you left out a space.
sudo parted /dev/sda unit s print

You can copy commands into terminal and paste into terminal.

You are showing 4 NTFS (type 07) partitions. Ubuntu uses Linux partitions. You may have to shrink one partition and expand the extended partition to make room for more partitions.

Use Windows Disk tools to shrink Windows partitions and then reboot. But use gparted or the installer to create partitions for LInux. If you just want / & swap, just make unallocated space and use auto install.

Ippo 2001
May 2nd, 2013, 11:03 PM
hi, before run fixparts I installed ubuntu from windows in the 300GB second partition (30GB of space requested), and then I ran fix parts with the results I posted above. After that i rebooted and everything went well dual boot with windows seven and ubuntu.
Now I want to make a clean installation of both the OS.
My problem is now if I boot from the DVD with Windows 7 DVD I get a blue screen during the loading files screen.
What's wrong?

oldfred
May 2nd, 2013, 11:56 PM
I do not know Windows issues, other than dual booting.
Do you get error messages?
If DVD is good I do not know.

Have you done a full power down and cold boot after power was off for a bit. If a laptop remove battery and hold power switch to dissipate energy. Then use one time boot key (f12 on my system) to choose to boot DVD.

Ippo 2001
May 3rd, 2013, 07:48 AM
Hi, the DVD is new, I used it to install windows 7 before fixing the mbr. The system is fresh I started now after one night of sleep :D, the error I get is related to the cache_manager, but looking to the technical information the error code relate to the RAM or hard drive.
what can I do? here is the BSOD image (sorry, it's taken with my cellular)

oldfred
May 3rd, 2013, 04:14 PM
Do you have a small SSD with Intel SRT running as cache or was Windows hibernated when you shut it down.

But then files may be corrupted similar to Windows 7 Hibernation:
http://ubuntu-with-wubi.blogspot.ca/2012/09/windows-8-fast-start-and-hybrid-sleep.html
http://superuser.com/questions/144720/missing-files-when-windows-7-returns-from-hibernate-w-dual-boot

Ippo 2001
May 3rd, 2013, 10:56 PM
Ok I fixed my problem, with fixparts I solved the partition table problem, I deleted GPT and left only MBR. The BSOD during Windows 7 installation was due to some file corrupted in the Filesystem on my hard drive, don't ask me why this influence the installation from the beginning.
To fix this problem, I run Ubuntu from the live cd, deleted all the partition on the hard drive and then reinstalled windows 7 and ubuntu and now I could choice to install ubuntu alongside windows 7 ...
Thanks to everybody for the support !!!