PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] URGENT: Live USB hangs after failed upgrade

raen
May 1st, 2013, 06:59 PM
[SOLVED]

So I did something stupid and tried to do the rolling upgrade from Lubuntu 12.10 to 13.04 even though it had been giving me errors and warnings. I think something may have gone wrong with the original (clean) installation of 12.10. #-o

After the upgrade, it wouldn't respond to shut-down commands. When I forced it off, it wouldn't boot up. I get the GRUB menu (version 2.00-7ubuntu11, with options for Ubuntu with Linux 3.5.0-27-generic and 3.5.0-17-generic, both of them regular and recovery mode), but “Ubuntu" and “Advanced options for Ubuntu" just ends up re-booting.

So now I'm trying to re-install 12.10 from the stick (because I stupidly hadn't gotten around to making the live stick of 13.04 yet) and after asking me what language I wanted and after I selected which option I wanted, all I get is the splash screen with the little moving dots.

This happens with both the “Try Lubuntu without installing" and the “Install Lubuntu" options. “Check disc for defects" works. It reports “errors found in 1 files!" and reboots as it promises to when any key is pressed. (I do so love the helpful detail it provides!)

I need help! Lots of it. I can understand the system being hosed, but why isn't the live USB working? :cry:

raen
May 2nd, 2013, 11:50 PM
I forgot to say that this is an Acer Aspire One D250-1165. I'd been using a bad 2GB stick of RAM that I just today downgraded to my old, but good, 1GB stick of RAM. This changed nothing. The live USB won't run.

I'm considering re-making the USB installer. Does it matter if I use a 64-bit system to make a 32-bit live stick?

Thanks,
raen.

raen
May 4th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Well, the urgent part has been resolved. The problem traced back to some bad RAM. I put in some good RAM, re-made the live USB, and I have a freshly installed Lubuntu 12.10 that works slightly better than the original installation did.