PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] 13.04 install hangs at "configuring bcmwl-kernel-source"

CoolBreeze47
May 1st, 2013, 06:20 AM
When I try to install Ubuntu 13.04, the installation goes only so far and then hangs at "configuring bcmwl-kernel-source". The CD simply stops spinning and I can walk away for an hour and when I return, it's still stuck there. I've tried blacklisting b43 in the kernel options (ie; b43.blacklist=yes) but even that doesn't work. Does anyone know of a work-around for this?.

Thanks so much!

monkeybrain2012
May 1st, 2013, 10:15 AM
Try to uncheck the box "installing third party or proprietary software" or something like that when you do the install.

CoolBreeze47
May 1st, 2013, 05:27 PM
Thanks for your reply. However, I've already tried that and gotten the same message. I've even got the wireless device blocked in the CMOS. I've even tried to find the card itself so I could remove it but it's buried in there somewhere and I couldn't locate it. I've tried blacklisting b43, I've tried not ticking the "Install third party software" and "Download updates while installing", I've tried "nomodeset", etc and nothing seems to work.

The only way I've been able to get 13.04 to actually install is by setting the "nomodeset" option and not ticking those two boxes but then Ubuntu doesn't download/install the drivers I need or other "third party software" and I end up with lousy graphics and no opengl or anything. Intel used to make an installer for the graphics driver but they are supposed to be already baked into v13.04. Even when I do get 13.04 installed and go to select a driver from the list in "software and updates", there is nothing there except the broadcom driver. It's kind of a catch-22.

So I guess the question is...how do I install the graphics drivers and other "third party software" after I've already installed 13.04?.

monkeybrain2012
May 1st, 2013, 06:13 PM
The "third party software" are probably things like flash, after you install Ubuntu just install "ubuntu-restricted-extras" from the Software Centre and you will get them. To get the drivers, you can go to the dash to search for "software sources" and click it, a window will open, choose the tab "additional drivers" and you can choose them from there. Sorry if this is not very clear, I am on 12.04 right now so can't see the exact layout of things in 13.04

NoSubstitute
May 10th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Ctrl-Alt-F2 sudo kill -9 (pid of process 'modprobe wl') That will move on to the next step in the installation process.

myrddinemrys
June 8th, 2013, 03:19 AM
Thank you, NoSubstitute! That was just what I needed to complete my install.

ergosteur
October 11th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Thanks, worked for me too - Dell Latitude D610 with Dell/Broadcom wireless-G.

ztirffritz
October 31st, 2013, 10:22 PM
Do you use TOP to get the PID?

indeterminate
January 26th, 2014, 06:32 PM
You can use top, or ps, or pgrep to get the PID.

Or you can do pkill -9 modprobe