PDA

View Full Version : Here I am with Lightworks and Steam running on my Ubuntu box

Hedgehog1
May 1st, 2013, 02:45 AM
I never thought this would really happen.

I can now edit video at a professional level on my Ubuntu box. I kept my vbox of windows 7 just so I could run Sony Vegas. Once I adapt to the UI on Lightworks, I think I can stop using Sony Vegas.

With Steam, all but one of the games I play are now running on my Ubuntu box.

I do still have Photoshop in a vbox of windows. The newer Gimp is better, but a few things still need Photoshop. But Gimp is getting closer all the time.

I use Chrome on my Windows, OSX and Linux boxes and also on my Android tablet to surf the web and share my bookmarks. It works very well.

Things sure have come a long way. The view is very nice from up here!

The Hedge

:KS

forrestcupp
May 2nd, 2013, 05:52 PM
Cool. So they finally released the Linux version of Lightworks? I hadn't heard that news yet.

Roasted
May 2nd, 2013, 06:09 PM
I remember around this time in 2006 when I started with Ubuntu. Linux as a whole has come such a long way. We've seen so many things change. I remember when Ubuntu was so similar to Debian that I wondered why Ubuntu existed. I remember when Mint was so similar to Ubuntu I also wondered why Mint existed. Today I'm able to look at distros like Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, and all sorts of various alternative "spins" and appreciate them for what they are. The existence of these distributions and countless pieces of software is entirely due to the countless hours that thousands of people have invested into this platform. Any time I run into a bug, glitch, or some sort of frustration, I find myself getting agitated rather quickly - but I always catch myself and take a step back. I COULD be on OSX or Windows where bugs also exist there, along with various other circumstances that people may deem as limitations, etc., but at any rate things always seem to get fixed (some within hours, some quite a bit later later) and things always progress and move forward. And as Hedgehod1 mentioned, here we are, with Lightworks and Steam. Our last remaining reasons for holding onto other proprietary operating systems are largely over with, or at the very least relatively close to ceasing entirely.

Damnit, I love this community.

forrestcupp
May 2nd, 2013, 11:11 PM
I remember around this time in 2006 when I started with Ubuntu. Linux as a whole has come such a long way. We've seen so many things change. I remember when Ubuntu was so similar to Debian that I wondered why Ubuntu existed. I remember when Mint was so similar to Ubuntu I also wondered why Mint existed.

Wow. My experience was the opposite. Back in 2005, I tried Debian out, thought the command line installer sucked, and I couldn't even get it to install at all. Then I found Ubuntu Hoary Hedgehog right after it had been released, popped it in, couldn't believe how nice the graphical installer was, and everything worked like a charm. The only other distro I could get to work was Mandrake, and I was put off by their commercial repos. So I've been stuck on Ubuntu since almost the beginning.

It was the same with Mint. Mint had an awesome Mint Menu and single taskbar, which was a nice change. And back in the beginning of Mint, it wasn't nearly as easy to get all of the proprietary codecs and stuff installed, so having it already preinstalled was amazing.

But I definitely agree that things have come a long way since the beginning of Ubuntu.