PDA

View Full Version : Point of sale/Cash register system

ycon
May 1st, 2013, 02:34 AM
Hi,

I'm new to Linux and this community. I've used a bunch of Linux distro's, but I'm still an amateur.

I need to set up a solid and reliable Point of sale (POS) system for a food business. It would have an inventory of about 50 items. Doesn't need to be portable, and there would be 2 or 3 in each store. The system would need to be able to provide detailed data such as times of individual item sales etc.

I'm just wondering what kind of systems are available, and what experience people have had with it?

Are there any major advantages/disadvantages of using a Linux based cash management system?

How about running it via my Nexux tablet that's been rooted to run Ubuntu?

CharlesA
May 1st, 2013, 03:15 AM
You would be better off getting a off-the-shelf POS system.

Might want to check here too:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=161036

codingman
May 1st, 2013, 03:32 AM
If you want someone to notice that you have something new to add, then you should make a new post, not edit the old one.

ycon
May 1st, 2013, 12:10 PM
You would be better off getting a off-the-shelf POS system.

Okay- cheers for that. Is that because it's not such a good idea for an amateur to rely on a Linux made system?

CharlesA
May 1st, 2013, 04:56 PM
Okay- cheers for that. Is that because it's not such a good idea for an amateur to rely on a Linux made system?

Sorta. Most of the POS systems I have seen around have been standalone machines in restaurants and convenience stores, but they probably run their own OS. While it is probably possible to use Linux as a base for a Point-of-sale system, why reinvent the wheel?

I have worked on Windows-based POS gear in the past, but that was running proprietary software on top of Windows itself.