PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] lubuntu 12.04 liveUSB hangs during boot

t1000mills
May 1st, 2013, 02:31 AM
Hi and thanks to all in advance for any help. Lets get down to it:

I recently had a hard drive fail that was running windows vista due to (I believe) bad sectors. At least that is what a seagate test I ran found. I came across Ubuntu live as a way to maybe find some of my files and recover them. I first tried Ubuntu from a LiveCD. This took a while to load but after choosing "try it without installing" or whatever, it went to the loading screen with 5 dots for a long time then finally loaded the desktop. However the only thing on the desktop is the mouse pointer and the pinkish wallpaper. Nothing else.

Next I came across Lubuntu and figured that is what I needed since it is an older desktop. This time I made a persistent USB key with LiLi. When I run this and choose persistent mode, it goes to a black screen with a bunch of white text that scrolls by too fast to copy down or read but I can tell that there are a few things that say error. then it quickly pauses and starts printing out more white text on the black screen that says something like "Timeout: Killing: /sbin/blkid ..... [220]" and prints it a bunch of times in a row. Then it immediately goes to the dark blue screen that says Lubuntu with the five dots. the dots keep changing colors (I have read some people have the dots stop changing colors when it hangs) but it never leaves this screen, it will go for hours. I can tell it has stopped working also because the usb stops flashing and the monitor goes to sleep.

I have been working on this issue for 2 days now reading every forum and documentation I can but have come to a dead end. Firslty I think I need to run a check to see what the issues Lubuntu is having are but I'm not sure how to do this. Can someone please lead me in the correct direction?

the system is a 2.93 ghz pentium 4, 160 gb hdd, and 256mb ram, generic old videocard (mobo does not have its own)

Thanks again in advance!

t1000mills
May 2nd, 2013, 08:09 AM
Anybody with any help? I would greatly appreciate it. This issue is slightly urgent. Thanks so much