PDA

View Full Version : Nexus 7 or Nexus 10

nethfel
April 30th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Hi all,

I have the option to choose a Nexus 7 or a Nexus 10 to see the feel for Ubuntu Touch - I was wonder if anyone could suggest which would provide a better experience in terms of functionality and feel. I had read in the past there was a scaling issue with the 7 for (I think) the login screen which I don't know if it's been fixed with the latest build, and not sure of how well the hardware will function. I can only choose one of the two styles due to what my work will let me test this on - I am not looking for the "biggest" only which will provide the best experience of what ubuntu will feel like on a device and the more that will work the better. I know this is still developer preview as do those that want me experience it.

Any tips on which of those two devices (Nexus 7 vs Nexus 10) will give the best functional preview hardware wise would be appreciated.

Nr90
May 1st, 2013, 10:30 PM
I'd get the 10. It's faster and I think it has better video playback then the 7.

nethfel
May 2nd, 2013, 12:08 AM
Hi!

Thanks for the feedback. Have you heard of any issues with Ubuntu Touch on the high resolution of the nexus 10? I've been trying to search out info on it, but most videos and what not that I find is demoing it or talking about it on the 7..

The other thing I'm surprised it'd be faster, granted the CPU in the 10 is faster on single core, but the tegra 3 is quad core vs the dual core in the nexus 10 and has had (at least with android) faster floating point / integer tests. If ubuntu touch can take advantage of the quad cores and if the software written for it can take advantage of the quad cores, it would seem that the tegra 3 might perform better...

ItalOz
May 22nd, 2013, 05:09 AM
I bought the Nexux7 few weeks ago, and I am loving it!
Did not try to install Ubuntu yet but will do soon.
To me the choice between the two was made upon the utilisation I wanted to do of it, I wanted something transportable, light and easy to carry around and I have it.
The Nexus10 is bigger and would not have suited my purposes.
Maybe the best thing to do is trying to figure out what you want from your device and then see which is the right one for you.

Anyway the Nexux7 works very well, I have the WiFi one (no 3G) with 32Gb on board.

nethfel
May 22nd, 2013, 02:18 PM
I bought the Nexux7 few weeks ago, and I am loving it!
Did not try to install Ubuntu yet but will do soon.
To me the choice between the two was made upon the utilisation I wanted to do of it, I wanted something transportable, light and easy to carry around and I have it.
The Nexus10 is bigger and would not have suited my purposes.
Maybe the best thing to do is trying to figure out what you want from your device and then see which is the right one for you.

Anyway the Nexux7 works very well, I have the WiFi one (no 3G) with 32Gb on board.

I had a Nexus 7 issued to me a long time ago (when the Nexus 7 was first released) for testing, but this time I opted for the 10. Although I didn't need the portability as you were looking for, the 10 seemed to have fewer issues with Ubuntu Touch than the 7 so the 10 was a more logical choice for the time being. I have already flashed it back and forth a few times between ubuntu and Android and it operates well so I am pleased with the 10.