PDA

View Full Version : Swap/Page files - Are they really necessary anymore?

u-noob-tu
April 30th, 2013, 12:08 AM
These days new computers are coming with more and more RAM out of the box, and 8GB or higher is becoming common. This makes me wonder: are page files/swap areas really necessary anymore? Sure, it's possible to use all that RAM and then it would become necessary, but I can't think of many programs that can push a computer that hard. Can anyone shed some light on this subject for me?

zer010
April 30th, 2013, 02:55 AM
Swap space probably becomes more of an issue when editing/encoding large graphics/video files.

ibjsb4
April 30th, 2013, 03:29 AM
You could always see for yourself.

sudo swapoff -a

sudo swapon -a

codingman
April 30th, 2013, 03:47 AM
err... It seems like a bigger problem with laptops, as in for hibernation. I don't make a swap anymore, cause I never use it and it takes precious time when you need to setup Arch.

CharlesA
April 30th, 2013, 03:51 AM
err... It seems like a bigger problem with laptops, as in for hibernation. I don't make a swap anymore, cause I never use it and it takes precious time when you need to setup Arch.

That's probably the only reason you really need swap.

I have one on my server, but the whole 2x max RAM thing kinda gets old.

lykwydchykyn
April 30th, 2013, 04:31 AM
Apart from hibernation, I wouldn't see any point in swap with that much RAM. I mean, can you imagine if you were utilizing even half that much swap (4gb)? Think of how long it takes to copy a 4 Gb file to a partition. Seems like you'd be better off not swapping at all.

Paqman
April 30th, 2013, 11:04 AM
I still tend to keep a swap file on hand in case it's needed, but with 4GB RAM I find it's very rarely used. Tbh after installing Raring recently I haven't bothered to set the swap file up yet, I'll probably get around to it but the system works fine without it.