PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no touchpad, no sound

Pedroski55
April 29th, 2013, 04:15 PM
I installed Ubuntu 13.04, but it had a lot of problems, so I reinstalled 12.04

Now I have no touchpad. System Settings>Mouse and Touchpad has no tab 'Touchpad', although it did work before, and during the installation, reinstallation.

Also, I now have no sound. System Settings>Sound elicits no sound from the test buttons. The sound card is not set, Output reads 'Dummy Output'

This is a Toshiba 600D Satellite.

Any tips out there???

Pedroski55
April 30th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Still have no touchpad and no sound, any kind soul have a tip??

manishiitg
April 30th, 2013, 02:41 PM
same problem for me in the latest lenovo laptop

Pedroski55
April 30th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Something is fishy! I have had such problems with Ubuntu these last 2 days, I nearly went and bought a new laptop, I was sure this one was broken, but Fedora 18 installs and works no problem, except, I can't get Chinese input working! There is always a catch!!

cortman
April 30th, 2013, 04:01 PM
I installed Ubuntu 13.04, but it had a lot of problems, so I reinstalled 12.04

Now I have no touchpad. System Settings>Mouse and Touchpad has no tab 'Touchpad', although it did work before, and during the installation, reinstallation.

Also, I now have no sound. System Settings>Sound elicits no sound from the test buttons. The sound card is not set, Output reads 'Dummy Output'

This is a Toshiba 600D Satellite.

Any tips out there???

Try running

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

Pedroski55
May 1st, 2013, 12:03 AM
真的吗?
I installed Ubu 12.04 on a computer at work in about 30 mins. Then I used Startup Disk Creator to make a usb boot stick. That got my laptop limping to a start using an older kernel, 3.2. Then I updated, although the touchpad mouse would not work. After an update, I could boot the 3.5 kernel, and suddenly, touchpad and sound were working again!!

The newest kernel 3.8.* will not boot.
I thought my laptop had memory problems, or some kind of mechanical failure, but I reinstalled Fedora 18 3 times these last 3 days. No problems. Also, Windows works. If one kind of Linux can install, and the other can't, maybe the problem is with the Linux version. I also tried to install Slackware, but that would not boot. Same kind of problem.

I am not an computer person. I just need my laptop to work, and I don't like windows, especially here in China. It is very intrusive. Maybe I'll buy a new laptop soon, see if that works ok.

One thing I learned these last few days: don't upgrade if you don't need to. Don't upgrade just to have the newest version!!