PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installation recommendation

michaelbr
April 29th, 2013, 03:09 AM
I've been using Ubuntu for some time, but not extensively, cause most of my apps are in Windows, after reading online and problem with my HD, I decided to upgrade my HD for a bigger one and start using virtual machine to try to install windows' apps in it. To do this I'd like recommendations from you pros who has done it. Here's my hardware environment:
- Asus notebook with Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
- 2GB of RAM
- 320GB HD (I'm afraid is dying)
I'm thinking in replacing 320GB with a 1TB HD, according to XP's device management, it's a Hitachi GTS drive with SATA III interface, here are my questions:
- there are very few SATA III drives out there for notebook, did I made a mistake (XP showed Hitachi HTS543232L9A300)
- I'm thinking in allocating 30GB for XP (I'd like to have a dual boot system in my notebook, until I'm comfortable with virtual machine)
- what's the recommended allocation for Ubuntu? (swap, system, virtual machine, etc.). I'd like to allocate as much as possible to a D shared drive between XP and Ubuntu.
ps: I'm thinking in upgrading my RAM, but until then, what's the recommended size allocation to speed the notebook up when using Ubuntu?