PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No launcher/menu after upgrade to 13.04

RandyN
April 29th, 2013, 12:46 AM
If I log in as Guest the launcher is present but under my regular account it is not present. So far this is the only issue I've run into upgrading from 12.1 to 13.04.

I tried deleting the ~./cache and ~./gconf as per a suggestion in a post but that didn't help. I thought I better ask before I start doing really silly things and completely pooch my system.

TIA,
Randy

RandyN
April 29th, 2013, 03:48 AM
Still poking at this....if at the login screen I chose the Fallback option (used the one with no effects) I get the menu bars at the top and bottom of the screen (the one at the top has Applications Places - the bottom bar has the Show desktop icon at the left and the 4 workspaces at the right).

Hope this helps shed some light on the problem.

Thx,
Randy

bogan
April 30th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Hi!, RandyN',

There are several things that can cause effects similar to your report; for instance many report it after installing a video driver, and a Plugin-not activated.

I had three 13.04 installations all showing the same blank Desktop, but Unity running OK in fallback or in another account.

Check out my Thread in the Ubuntu +1 forum, there are several examples there, of ways different people attacked the problem, and cured it - or not. Take your pick.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2136435

The essential thing is to note and Post what error messages you get, if any, from which command.

Chao!, bogan.

RandyN
April 30th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Hi bogan...thanks for the link. The last suggestion by Giantmundo worked for me but "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems" seems to apply here. After applying his fix I enabled Cube and Rotate Cube...total lock up occurred but that is the subject for a different post ;)

bogan
May 1st, 2013, 08:45 AM
Hi!, RandyN,

Great!. Please mark the Thread as Solved [ Go to Edit>Advanced Mode and Edit the Prefix.

Chao!, bogan.