PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 2 Beta 1 RC3 (final)

_simon_
July 12th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Here's the final beta 1:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/bonecho-beta1-candidates/rc3/

MaaSTaaR
July 12th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Great ! :)

can i found ChangeLogs ?

And when will the stable version avialable ?

_simon_
July 12th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Can't see a changelog at the moment - I'll keep looking.

Here's the development schedule:

http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox2/Schedule

Beta 1 June 2006 Feature Frozen

* all feature work is complete, including UI
* all strings are complete and available for l10n to start
* intended for beta users

Beta 2 July 2006 Product Frozen

* based on feedback from Beta 1
* all feature work is complete, including UI
* all strings are frozen
* intended for beta users

RC 1 August 2006 Release Candidate

* based on bugfixes from Beta 2
* should represent final product
* intended for wide audience of early adopters

RC 2 August 2006 Release Candidate (if needed)

* based on bugfixes from RC 1
* should represent final product
* intended for wide audience of early adopters

FX 2 August 2006 Final Release

* based on bugfixes from RC 2

Derek Djons
July 12th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Can somebody tell me how to install the beta? I've done all installs as usual but it won't startup up or it mixes up with current version 1.5.0.4.

Arathorn
July 12th, 2006, 11:24 AM
There are release candidates for beta's now? Aren't we going a bit overboard here?

_simon_
July 12th, 2006, 11:40 AM
apparently so!

manicka
July 12th, 2006, 11:44 AM
I don't see any features in this beta that makes it worth the effort. I think I'll be waiting for the final release.

mech7
July 12th, 2006, 01:12 PM
what is new in this release ? i think ill stay away from it for just yet.. as it will probably break my extensions :)

bruce89
July 12th, 2006, 01:17 PM
I don't see any features in this beta that makes it worth the effort. I think I'll be waiting for the final release.

No, the major bump in the version number seems a bit drastic. The only thing I remember was "places", but they pulled it out. Epiphany has this idea anyway, so I use it now.

_simon_
July 12th, 2006, 01:18 PM
the only thing it seems to have over Opera 9 is the spellcheck facility that checks as you type. In Opera you have to check spelling via a separate spellcheck option. Now that I have found a stable opera 9 build I'm more than happy :)

arunsub
July 12th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Click here (http://tech.arun-prabha.com/whats_new_in_firefox.htm) to see what is new in the beta.

Mr. Picklesworth
July 12th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Sounds good :)

A shame to lose the Places feature, but I bet someone will write an extension that does it.
A simple implementation isn't too painful, after all; it only gets troublesome if it's a built in feature, since it then needs all sorts of configurability.

In a way, I'm glad the noteable features list hasn't grown very much.
This means they've taken a lot of care to just clean up what they have.

Downloading now so that I can test it and report everything that goes wrong in the hopes of this becoming a fantastic improvement over 1.5.
One of the first things I'll check for is improved crash handling (I hate it when Firefox crashes and leaves its old unresponsive process running!).
Even better would be just not crashing when viewing Quicktime movies.

Edit:
Yep, as I suspected.
It's feeling very snappy, and the UI has really been improved.
Now I can uninstall about half of my extensions!
I'll miss the All-In-One Sidebar, though. (Maybe I can get it to let the Add-Ons window not open in the sidebar when it gets updated to FF2).

One noticeable improvement is the ability to override the default actions for certain file types.
I can now get the browser to download PDF files instead of open them in Acrobat without any extensions!
Also the search engine sorting is nice, but I had to add another Google. Made me miss an extension which gave me a point-and-click interface for adding new search engines. (All I had to do was choose a form, right click and press Add To Search Bar).
It was pretty cool :)
Hope to see it updated soon!
(Too bad something like it wasn't built in).

A few things I just can't figure out, so I'll report them as useability errors.
First, I can't tell how these RSS feed readers work.
How do I get the previews displayed within the browser content window instead of just having their titles in the menu? It seems utterly hopeless, as I can't find a button anywhere. (Should be a shortcut right below the bookmarks entry for a Live Bookmark, perhaps).
Then there's a mysterious right-click menu option that comes up when I right click on a single-line text field, saying "Add a keyword for this search". It seems to open up the Add Bookmark window with an extra option for Keyword...
I also seem to be the only person who isn't getting spellcheck out of the box.

Microsummaries seem like a good idea, but a bit complicated at the moment.
Hopefully web developers will start building their web pages with the feature so these Microsummary Generators don't have to be used.
I'm hoping they have a button for them like the Live Bookmark button...
I think bookmarks should be given two lines in the menu with the summary on one and the title on the other. Would use more space, but be quite attractive.
It will probably sort itself out nicely :)
However, one problem: Now that Search Plugins can be removed, they had to make another mysteriously unremoveable feature.
Yep, it seems that microsummary generators can not be removed. (Heh...)

I guess some quickhelp things or a quick introduction to new features on first start would improve the whole matter.

Search suggestions (not autocomplete) are concealed by the autocomplete.
I guess that's a bug, and a darn silly one at that :P

PhilipsHead
July 12th, 2006, 11:50 PM
I suppose i just don't get it anymore.

Seamonkey is slicker, faster and has more features, firefox is an old hog of resources and nothing more.

So why? Personally i should probably just shut it since i'm using Konqueror which has gotten slicker and slicker.

Only question is, now that seamonkey and evolution are WAY past where Firefox was when the last update was for it, WHY stick with it?

Just installed seamonkey on my work computer where i run windows and whoa, compared to firefox, it flies.