PDA

View Full Version : Boot issue after installation

b0wter
April 27th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Hey,

with the release of 13.04 I decided to give Ubuntu a try and I've run into some serious problems so far.
I am running a pc (EFI) with two hdds, one of them contains Windows 7, the other one Linux Mint.
So what I tried was create a bootable usb stick to install Ubuntu. The creation worked flawlessly (been using unetbootin). During the installation the installer asked me where to install and I selected the option to replace Linux Mint.
While installing I ran into the infamous Squashfs error (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SquashfsErrors) (md5 checksum of the ISO was okay). So I used another tool (rufus) to create the usb stick, which worked fine. When I ran the installer it only offered me the option to either replace Windows 7 or install Ubuntu alongside. I chose the later thinking that I was able to select that the installer would install Ubuntu alongside Win7 on the second hdd. But that maniac installer simply tried to push Ubuntu onto the same drive as windows by reducing the windows partition by 16GB (the partition has had a free space of 5GB!!!). So I guess that Windows installation is gone for good >:[
The installtion didnt work out, I ran into the sqashfs error again....
That was where I got to a second Ubuntu machine and created a bootable USB stick with the Startup Disk Creator. Since I was already bugged enough I simply disconnected the windows hdd and ran the installer from the USB stick. It worked flawlessly this time but after rebooting Ubuntu wouldn't boot. I simply get a blank screen with a blinking cursor.
So what I have now is a hdd with a probably broken installation of Windows 7 (including the "old" GRUB bootloader from the Linux Mint installtion) that boots into Grub rescue mode and a second hdd that should contain Ubuntu but does not boot at all. Does anyone have any advice on how to advance from here on? I simply want to install Ubuntu on my second hdd and get Windows back to work (preferably without reinstallation).

edit: I have no idea what I did different this time but I tried again and managed to install and boot Ubuntu successfully by disconnecting the windows hdd from the mainboard. Still the issue remains on how to continue from here on...

dino99
April 27th, 2013, 03:15 PM
some usb thumb have a borked partition table; so with gparted or partedmagic, rebuild the table first, then format as Fat32

p-dh
April 27th, 2013, 04:38 PM
I have also had problems with USB partitions of 4 GB or more. Once I changed to a 2GB partition, everything worked as expected.

Peace,
Paul :cool:

b0wter
April 29th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Thanks. I finally got it working again, yesterday evening.
I used an alternate USB stick for the successful installtion of Ubuntu. Afterwards I tried to correct the MBR on the windows partition with the Windows 7 DVD by booting into the recovery console and using bootsec but to no avail. The solution was much easier in the end... I connected both hdds, booted the Ubuntu partition performed a simple "update-grub" and told EFI to always boot my second hdd (containing Ubuntu). Works fine now.