PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Laptop turns off even before I can start installation of 13.04

jitenderdogra
April 26th, 2013, 05:01 AM
I have a machine running on AMD A8-4500M processor with 7670M+7640G dual graphics.
I believe one should be able to replicate this problem on any laptop with AMD GPU or at the very least on those with both CPU and GPU from AMD.
I have had this issue for quite a while now. When I try to run ubuntu on my laptop, the GPU fan runs like crazy and very soon the laptop shuts down.
The issue is also applicable to all linux distros both 32 and 64 bit, unless, like in Manjaro Linux, there is an option to activate the proprietary drivers in the live mode itself.
I somehow managed to install linux mint once and then, somehow managed to keep it working till I installed the proprietary drivers for the AMD GPU. After that it became quite normal.

So, my question is this: Is it possible to activate the proprietary drivers for GPU in ubuntu before I enter the live mode? or, if there is a derivative of ubuntu that does this for me? I really like the preview of ubuntu 13.04 + there nothing is as stable and at the same time as simple as ubuntu and wanted to come back to it (used ubuntu from 9.04 till 10.04, left because of this very issue).

Please HELP!

dino99
April 26th, 2013, 09:03 AM
you think its a laptop, but it looks a burning cooker
pay attention to it before it died
clean it, let it breath and grab fresh air
slow it down into bios/uefi if possible
or sell it now before loosing it

fragtion
April 26th, 2013, 02:17 PM
99% of laptops I've fixed that randomly 'turn off' are due to overheating. Clear the dust out of those heatsinks

jitenderdogra
April 27th, 2013, 03:32 AM
I assure you that the issue is not dust in the fans. As I said, I can easily carry out installation of Manjaro Linux as they have the proprietary drivers option available before going into live mode. Would have used it, but it keeps ending up in an error of kernel panic at shutdown and I have to force it to shutdown every time. I bet that can't be good for the hard disk.

Also, I can install and run windows for days together without any heating issues.

So, please give me an actual solution to the problem I explained very clearly instead of guessing that the problem may be something else entirely.
I have been using laptops for 8 years now and linux for 4. One thing I have gotten good at is finding out what the problem really is. The solution, is what I come here for.

jitenderdogra
April 29th, 2013, 06:43 AM
bump.

jitenderdogra
April 30th, 2013, 04:28 PM
up.