PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] [12.04 LTS] Make Everything But Wallpaper Disappear

KommaH
April 26th, 2013, 04:32 AM
Hi everyone, I'm currently using Kubuntu 12.04 LTS and am currently in need of a way to make it so certain elements of KDE are disabled for a certain user. If possible, I want nothing but the wallpaper to be visible for this user. Nothing else should be accessible (without a little bit of experience, anyways). Is this even possible?

lykwydchykyn
April 26th, 2013, 04:42 AM
What exactly is the point of this? Are you trying to make a kiosk of some kind? Why would you want to bother with KDE if you just want to display the wallpaper?

KommaH
April 26th, 2013, 04:52 AM
What exactly is the point of this? Are you trying to make a kiosk of some kind?
Yes. Well, I have a kiosk solution already set up. Lately, I've been exploring different (or possibly even better) ways of setting it up. While brainstorming ideas, I got the idea that maybe I could make all elements except for the wallpaper disappear. At the time, it seemed like it might be plausible since you can kind of do this in Windows with some registry key tweaks and whenever I somehow make Ubuntu lockup, everything disappears except for the wallpaper. :)

EDIT: I suppose I should mentioned that I'm not just limited to KDE either. I'm open for using other desktop environments and other distros if needed.

lykwydchykyn
April 26th, 2013, 02:34 PM
This is a post I did a while back detailng my methods for setting up a kiosk in Linux:

http://www.alandmoore.com/blog/2011/11/05/creating-a-kiosk-with-linux-and-x11-2011-edition/

Basically, instead of locking down a big DE like KDE or Gnome, we build what we need from the ground up by writing an .xsession script. Much simpler and to the point.

I've used this method many times and have had kiosks built with it in production for years with no problems.

KommaH
April 27th, 2013, 03:37 AM
This is a post I did a while back detailng my methods for setting up a kiosk in Linux:

http://www.alandmoore.com/blog/2011/11/05/creating-a-kiosk-with-linux-and-x11-2011-edition/

Basically, instead of locking down a big DE like KDE or Gnome, we build what we need from the ground up by writing an .xsession script. Much simpler and to the point.

I've used this method many times and have had kiosks built with it in production for years with no problems.
Thanks for the link! A custom .xsession script is actually what I was trying to get at.