PDA

View Full Version : Raring Installation & Upgrade Experiences

cariboo
April 26th, 2013, 03:59 AM
Please tell us about your experience upgrading, or doing a fresh install of Raring RIngtail

Keep in mind that this thread is only for your experience, if you are having problems, please create a thread in the support forums.

tecknomage
April 26th, 2013, 09:01 PM
I upgraded my laptop from Ubuntu 12 to Ubuntu 13 via the OnLine Upgrade Tool.

Also I use the GNOME Classic environment/desktop.

I did make both image and archive backups of v12 first.

The Upgrade Tool ran without a hitch.

After reboot at end of the upgrade I did run into a problem logging in to GNOME. Switch to the Ubuntu login and that worked.

When I restarted and went to change back to GNOME I found that GNOME Classic was not listed, GNOME Fallback is. GNOME Fallback = GNOME Classic and login worked.

SO FAR all the main apps work as expected, my special 3rd-party game (Eschalon Book 2) worked, and my WinShare folder and remote printing worked.

Hope others have the same experience =D>

Tanker Bob
April 27th, 2013, 01:11 AM
Upgraded from 12.10 on my desktop last night. The upgrade process went flawlessly. After restarting, I had a few small issues. Yahoo Mail no longer works right in Firefox, though FF is the same version that was in 12.10. Radio Tray lost its ability to display on the indicator bar, and the Thunderbird icon on the launcher no longer displays the number of new messages. Compiz Expo no longer works, but crashes Compiz when summoned. Ubuntu bugged me about Google contacts the first several times that I launched Thunderbird, but has finally stopped. All little stuff. Still looking for a solution to the Yahoo mail thing, though. It polls for new mail every 1.5 seconds or so, so I cannot do anything but display the inbox. I've checked all the settings but don't see anything wrong.

The best news is that VMWare Workstation 9.x still works fine. That's unusual for upgrades and very welcome.

Frogs Hair
April 27th, 2013, 02:10 AM
Both beta and final installed without any problem. There was a problem in beta not related to the installation of the operating system. So far I have tried Razor QT and E17 for a little while. I'm back to Unity - Gnome Shell, and XFCE.

avidesh
April 27th, 2013, 08:20 AM
upgrade was clean without any issues. However post upgrade Thunderbird is not working.
getting the attached error.
I even re installed Thunderbird but same error

carl4926
April 27th, 2013, 08:24 AM
I have been testing thru development.
Installed what was basically RC last week and just let it update to release ....
Great improvement IMO on my eeepc

alan9800
April 27th, 2013, 09:17 AM
I made a clean installation of Xubuntu 13.04 and all works fine.

Myglaren
April 27th, 2013, 09:51 PM
As Tanker Bob experienced, Yahoo mail will not display any of the filtered mail in folders for longer than a few seconds, this is in both the 32 bit and the 64 bit versions.

deadflowr
April 27th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Ran a clean install the other day... quite successful.

Ran an upgrade on a long in the tooth system today... super successful.
All my programs work.
My printer still works.
Have all my files still.

Only real issue was I needed to resync my Ubunutone folders.
Not a big issue and one that I instigated myself by changing the password for it a while ago and never resyncing systems.

Now, for the first time in about a year, I am quantal-less.
Next week, I'll be switching a raring install to saucy.
But that's another story...

goldshirt9
April 28th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Normally I install only LTS releases, but thought give it a go.
WoW superfast at start up 18 sec or so.
no problems so far, everything I use works a treat.Except for transfering files / movies / music / password effortless.
WELL DONE for a great release
installed on
Siemens Fujitsu AH531 laptop
Intel® Core™ i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz × 4
Intel® Sandybridge Mobile
64-bit
7.7 GiB ram

Jenks141
April 28th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Ran an update from 12.10 on my desktop and a clean installation on the laptop. Both installations went well. The only problem I am having is with Yahoo Mail which will not display messages for more than a few seconds. It did work on the laptop until I agreed to install the Yahoo mail app when prompted to by Firefox. The desktop already had the app installed when I upgraded.

Other than the Yahoo mail issue 13.04 looks good.

Tanker Bob
April 28th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Thanks, Jenks141, for the info on the Yahoo mail webapp. I, too, had it already installed on my desktop before upgrading. I disabled all webapps in Unity Tweak Tool and then Yahoo mail worked fine in Firefox. I then went into Synaptic and uninstalled unity-webapps-yahoomail. I renenabled webapp prompts and now all is right with that world. The Yahoo mail webapp was definitely the problem.

dtconnor
April 28th, 2013, 09:24 PM
I upgraded from 12.10 and experienced "kernel panic" and could not boot the OS.
I then downloaded an iso image and did an install of 13.04 - not a clean install however.
I had a choice to install I guess you would say over the current installed 13.04 in order to save
many of my apps settings etc.
This worked as many have noted with out any problems except that Wicd broke, which
actually is OK as Wicd isn't supported very well.
I am quite happy that virtualbox had no issues through all this.

Since I am relatively new - not sure I didn't bite off more than I could chew.
I caused myself more pain by ripping out and reinstalling nm that I needed too
but with some great help here I got that fixed in about an hour.

Over all I am happy - coming from Windows I can say I have experienced
a lot worse

Jenks141
April 28th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Thanks Tanker Bob followed you steps to remove the Yahoo webapp and all seems OK now.

alan9800
April 29th, 2013, 05:18 AM
for some weird reason, few time after the installation both Xubuntu 13.04 and Ubuntu 13.04 gave me problems with my video card (probably because it is an old ATI HD2400XT); hence I've had to reinstall Ubuntu 12.04, which is the one that has always worked fine.

dale52
April 29th, 2013, 06:37 AM
i upgraded from lubuntu 12.10 to 13.04 no problems, yahoo worked fine, thunderbird worked fine too didnt even have a problem with my wireless broadcom 4311 worked surprisingly
dell inspiron e1405
60 gig hdd
2.5 gig ram

qishoushi
April 29th, 2013, 04:52 PM
I upgraded when prompted. It went very smooth. The only problem I have now is that Yahoo Mail checks mail every 2 seconds making it impossible to read email. It does not do this in other browsers of OS's.

Tanker Bob
April 29th, 2013, 11:36 PM
qishoushi,

Read post #12 on how to fix Yahoo mail.

SteelGoo
April 30th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Hi there. I ran the upgrade from 12.10 and it worked well except for the resolution on the TV. All my 16:10 resolutions disappeared and the 16:9 choices are too big for the TV. I had this issue when I first installed 12.10 and I fixed it with the xorg.conf file but that didn't work this time. I have a small form factor Acer with an Intel Sandybridge graphics card and I use it to run XBMC on a cheap LED 42" TV. I am working through the forums for a fix now but may end up doing a fresh install.

wyth
April 30th, 2013, 06:57 AM
I upgraded from 12.04, and ran into some issues.

Background: I've just been doing in-place software manager upgrades for a couple years. This was starting to leave some issues, and recently after another kernel update my touchpad ceased to work. So I decided to upgrade to 13.04 to see if that would help, and again did it through the software manager. That didn't solve my issues, the system was incredibly sluggish, and things just weren't working well.

So I used the live disk and reinstalled the system files while leaving my home directory alone. I was reticent to do this, because once time that process locked me out of my encrypted home directory. That didn't happen this time, and the reinstallation took care of the speed issues, the touchpad problem, and a number of other little things (the system has only hard-locked on me once in four days; usually it does that once or twice a day).

However, there is a problem with the launcher autohiding. It will autohide, but it leaves a blank space in place of the launcher, and any full-screen apps are cut off/covered by that blank space on the left side of the screen. There's a bug report on this in launchpad, and I've posted images of my desktop's issue there.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/1078075
https://launchpadlibrarian.net/138667774/unity.launcher.problem.png

HRH_H_Crab
April 30th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Another Ubuntu upgrade and more problems.
I've never had one go smoothly.
Lightdm shows a black screen.
GDM draws a background but I can't log into anything.
Why do I ever bother to upgrade? It always ends in pain.

DMGrier
May 4th, 2013, 04:45 PM
I have never had a problem using the upgrade tool as long as I am upgrading right away. So for example if I decided not to upgrade from 12.10 to 13.04 until about two months after 13.04 was released it always will say upgrade complete but as soon as I restart the system I get stuck at a black screen. So I either upgrade within the first week or I do a fresh install which usually is not a problem since my current notebook does not require the install of any additional proprietary drivers.

craig10x
May 4th, 2013, 05:49 PM
I have never had a problem using the upgrade tool as long as I am upgrading right away. So for example if I decided not to upgrade from 12.10 to 13.04 until about two months after 13.04 was released it always will say upgrade complete but as soon as I restart the system I get stuck at a black screen. So I either upgrade within the first week or I do a fresh install which usually is not a problem since my current notebook does not require the install of any additional proprietary drivers.

So, then would you say that as long as you use the upgrade tool in the update manager, let's say, as soon as the next version goes final, then the upgrade has come off totally smooth with no breakages or other problems?

I was thinking about trying my first upgrade when 13.10 is final released (on my newly installed 13.04 final) rather then going through the bother of re-installing completely...so i was very interested about that...

Also, when you upgrade, does it carry over all the programs media (like videos, music documents) and files you have from your previous install?

Tanker Bob
May 4th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Also, when you upgrade, does it carry over all the programs media (like videos, music documents) and files you have from your previous install?

Upgrading theoretically preserves everything in your setup, including apps and settings. You should still backup, though, as there's always possibility of disaster (hard drive crash, comet impact, etc.).

DMGrier
May 5th, 2013, 02:08 AM
So, then would you say that as long as you use the upgrade tool in the update manager, let's say, as soon as the next version goes final, then the upgrade has come off totally smooth with no breakages or other problems?

I was thinking about trying my first upgrade when 13.10 is final released (on my newly installed 13.04 final) rather then going through the bother of re-installing completely...so i was very interested about that...

From 12.04 to 12.10 to 13.04 I have never had a issue upgrading at all as long as I do it the week it goes final. Yeah it carries everything over but always back up.

craig10x
May 5th, 2013, 02:49 AM
Thanks...i will keep that in mind when 13.10 goes final...and get "on it" quickly ;)

All my media (videos, music) and documents and other important files i have on a flash drive...i use that whenever i make a fresh install to put all my "stuff" back on again...
so, no problem with that...

Primefalcon
May 7th, 2013, 06:34 PM
I tried it for a few days with a fresh install, I have to say... its beautiful.... really really polished.... however I went back to 12.04 since the system was slow to the point of being ususable especially after running for a while, thats my only real gripe... I suppose the issues will be fixed by the next LTS release though

WaMu
May 17th, 2013, 09:40 AM
I installed in on my 2011 MacBook Pro 8,1

Ubuntu 13.04 64bit Mac version.

Installed flawlessly except the Broadcom 4331 Wireless Card did not work so had to find the drivers for that.

This version of Unity is wayyyyyy smoother than 12.04 in my opinion.

flectron
May 19th, 2013, 06:37 PM
I always do a Fresh Install of Ubuntu after each release. This version works like a charm. No problems at all:D

My Specs:
1.7 GHz AMD Dual-Core E2-1800
4GB DDR3
AMD A68M FCH
AMD Radeon HD 7340

pfeiffep
May 20th, 2013, 12:21 PM
A 13.04 fresh install on my HP tower was flawless - however the fresh install was REQUIRED because the upgrade failed to complete!

I had been testing the 13.04 daily releases on my laptop (really a full 13.04 install in early March and apt-get routine daily, followed by aggressive use of bleachbit) I'm still using this and it works perfectly.

My one bad experience with the upgrade led me to a decision in the future to use one of the other methods I used.

monkeybrain2012
May 22nd, 2013, 11:35 PM
Installer kind of slow starting up, saw small circle spinning forever before getting to the partition table, I thought it hanged and just about to reboot (it did hang with the beta and needed workaround to even install) and then it started working. Once got after partitioning installation was smooth and quite fast, just the beginning waiting was long. It seems that ubiguity hasn't been working too well in the last couple of releases.

midasmind
May 23rd, 2013, 09:37 PM
Lost HDMI audio output on my Radeon HD 6670. Now I can't hook up my computer to my TV (which runs my stereo amplifier) for streaming music when I have parties. But that just means I'll have to buy some audio jack adapters and plug audio directly to the amplifier now.

edit: forgot to say I upgraded.

cariboo
May 24th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Lost HDMI audio output on my Radeon HD 6670. Now I can't hook up my computer to my TV (which runs my stereo amplifier) for streaming music when I have parties. But that just means I'll have to buy some audio jack adapters and plug audio directly to the amplifier now.

edit: forgot to say I upgraded.

THere is a solution to your problem in this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2141858&p=12632440&viewfull=1#post12632440) post.

Mike Holden
June 3rd, 2013, 05:03 PM
I have just installed Ubuntu for the first time. 13.04.
The installation was flawless.
The desktop was exactly as I wanted it 'out of the box'.
It was as though I had designed it myself.
Clean desktop. Taskbar on the left, Single click. Everything intuative.Settings fantastic. Network printer connected with no problem. Updated with no problems.
A pleasure to use. which I will from now on.

MidnightGrey
June 3rd, 2013, 05:08 PM
Congrats!
Now check out this webpage:
http://www.noobslab.com/2013/04/tweaksthings-to-do-after-install-of.html

kemtnbkr
June 27th, 2013, 04:35 AM
Installed Xubuntu 13.04 (Clean install) on both laptop and desktop, laptop went 100% perfect, desktop had random logout issue resolved by installing patched version of xfce4-session. (See Bug #1104435 on Launchpad for more info... I just installed from the PPA in the comments section).

Other than that (major problem but easy fix), flawless.

Not a huge fan of the new larger-size images as I like to have an archive of a couple previous versions at least so if something major is broken with the new version I can always just go back to the most recent version that I know works on the machine. I could buy DVDs, but what fun is that? :D

Some others I see have been having issues with the installer... I 'tested Xubuntu without installing' and then used the installer from within the fully booted system... for me at least seems like it was way quicker than with previous versions of *buntu.

All in all, a positive experience!!

ryan516
July 2nd, 2013, 03:13 AM
Sorry for not doing a very complicated install report, I'm not really sure how. All I really needed to do that wasn't straight forward was setting up my Wireless Driver which was still quick to set up.

neu5eeCh
July 3rd, 2013, 01:28 PM
Haven't been using Ubuntu (as opposed to Xubuntu) since the switch to Unity. I dip my toes every now and then. Just yesterday I installed Unity/Raring on a spare partition. I was very disappointed. The DE is buggy and still resists any sort of customization. I applied transparency to the panel and was still served up an artifact from a prior window that had been beneath the panel. Couldn't get rid of it. Makes the DE feel absurdly amateurish. I wanted the Launcher (the left-side app bar as some call it) to be completely transparent. But either the transparency doesn't work correctly or the Unity devs have decided they know best. The launcher insists on tinting its transparency with whatever colors are on the desktop. Not an effect I like. Myunity doesn't work on 13.04. Ubuntu-Tweak is marginal and Unity Tweak was buggy. If I chose a solid color then I lost transparency. I had to Google how to disable web-search. The option to switch this off should be, in my opinion, immediately available and transparent. The inability to install click-to-minimize (a feature that devs have refused to make available -- opting for spread instead) cripples the launcher's functionality. Also have never liked how the launcher "smashes" extra launchers at the bottom of the bar. It's subjective, but to me it looks amateurish. Unity, to this user, still fells like a square peg being rammed into a round hole. It's a mobile DE that only marginally works on a desktop or laptop and, like Gnome Shell, requires too many third party additions to produce anything like a DE that I, at least, would want to use.

SantaFe
July 7th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Upgraded to Xubuntu 13.04 from 12.10, and the only problem is, it seems to have messed up my /usr/share/icons folder. I have only 3 icon themes that show all icons, the other 10 show partial icons. And I'm stuck with a large black mouse cursor. Hmmmm.... At least it's not a MAJOR mess up. ;)

jivana
July 8th, 2013, 12:32 AM
I upgraded my Dell Inspiron 1525 from 12.04 to 12.10 and straight to 13.04.
The second step left me with a near-unusable system, crashing on startup.
Some research revealed that the file system had turned read-only, which I was able to fix by un- and remounting it.
The cause turned out to be the wrong driver for the wireless card BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY. I removed bcmwl-kernel-source and the computer started again.
Firefox had the issue of not responding to my efforts to change its window size. This went away with doing it using the keyboard once, since then it works normally.
When starting to Gnome, I do not see application or status bars, and I am using Gnome fallback instead. Not sure whether my hardware supports Gnome anyway.
I have not checked many other applications, so I might add to this post.
All in all, I wish Ubuntu managed a more flawless installation, especially for all those users out there who may not have the patience t go through the stepps I used. I think this would turn most people off.

craig10x
July 8th, 2013, 06:17 AM
@jivana: Clean installs always go well but upgrades seem to often be problematic....i keep hearing some on the forums say that they went 100% perfect but sometimes i wonder if that was just luck :D
I never tried an upgrade, though i think i will when it's time to upgrade my 13.04 to 13.10 when it is released...The way i am figuring it, is if anything gets messed up, i will just to a clean install instead (which i planned on doing anyway) and if it upgrades smoothly with no problems...then i saved my self a bunch of extra work getting things set up on it ;)

BigSilly
July 14th, 2013, 09:13 PM
I haven't used Ubuntu properly for such a long time, but decided recently to give 13.04 a go. Did a fresh install onto a brand new WD drive, into its own 200Gb partition. My specs are below.

Install was a flawless experience. Quick, smooth, trouble free. Almost fun, in fact. Once installed and updated no real issues to report other than a couple of seemingly random crash reports, which haven't troubled me since. However, installing the Nvidia proprietary driver did its usual bang up job of destroying the Plymouth boot up, leaving the user with a garbled mess. This is the same as any distro, but I'm hoping with Wayland and Mir these issues are done with.

All in all though it seems Ubuntu is getting into focus, and a lot of my problems with the OS have now gone. Lovely! Thank you for a great experience. I think for the next release I'm going to give the upgrade process a go rather than fresh install. I have never done this before, but I'm going to give it a shot. :)

craig10x
July 14th, 2013, 09:26 PM
@BigSilly: yeah, i thought it would be interesting to try doing an upgrade to 13.10 when it releases since like you, i have never done it before...i figured there would be nothing to lose...worse case would be having to re-install clean which i was going to do anyway...I've heard that often the best success with doing the upgrade is when it is done within the first week or so after release so i will probably jump right on it early in the game...

midfingr
July 16th, 2013, 10:41 PM
I installed 13.04 (64-bit) via USB--have for a long time now with other OS's. I always customize the partition layout and direct grub to a different hard drive, i.e. the one Ubuntu is installed. I'm constantly amazed on how quickly this version installs.

After reboot, I immediately change the mirror list location ... reboot again. Update, then install the proprietary AMD video drivers (download sh file) via terminal. As for 'out of the box', sure the software is adequate. However, I usually update/install some packages through PPA on launchpad; notably--handbrake, kdenlive, VLC, Gimp...

Overall, the installation process is painless and very quick. I'm quite happy with this release. :)

Gilad_Pellaeon
August 11th, 2013, 05:41 AM
I installed Lubuntu 13.04 (32-bit) via a USB flash card reader using a MicroSD card no less onto a Dell Optiplex 745 tower with Intel Dual Core 1.86ghz CPU, 80gb SATA hard drive, 1 gb ram, and Intel Q965 graphics. Originally I had it setup as a dual boot system with Windows XP SP3 but I decided to reinstall Lubuntu to as the main/primary OS and erase my Windows XP install. So far everything I've installed has worked great and I even migrated over my Firefox and Thunderbird data from Windows into Lubuntu so I didn't lose any of my extensions, bookmarks, etcetera.

The only minor issue I have which is likely to be expected on this tower made in 2007 is that Adobe flash with newer flash games such as Songpop on facebook will more often then not be in sync with the audio. Installing Google Chrome with it's own built in pepperflash fixes that problem and plays Songpop with no issues whatsoever on facebook. I've actually bookmarked Songpop and Youtube in Google Chrome just to play those flash games and watch Youtube videos, and disabled adobe flash in Firefox. Heck, I even noticed HTML 5 videos on youtube at 720p were even playing with no problems.

So yeah, overall i'm pretty happy with Lubuntu on this machine so far. :)