PDA

View Full Version : My wife just bought Fujitsu LifeBookT4210Convertible PC with Intel Core Duo Processor

RAV TUX
July 12th, 2006, 04:07 AM
I asked her if she was excited, she said she doesn't get excited about computers like I do, but she stated she is excited about running Ubuntu on it. (I know Ubuntu will work with no-problem because my friend has the same computer and I loaded Ubuntu dual-boot on his, everything just worked, with a little tweaking to enable the pen tablet function to work perfectly)

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/5873/t4210anglecdoutstylus8odzw1.jpg

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/7923/t4210rightangle8unjy7.jpg

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/8348/t4210handusingtablet28rbet8.jpg

Here are the specs:

12.1" XGA TFT indoor/outdoor display with greater than 160° viewing angles

Intel® CoreTM Duo Processor T2500 (2 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB)

2 GB DDR2 667 MHz SDRAM memory (1 GB x 2)

NoteL S-ATA 150, 5400 rpm shock-mounted 120 GB Hard Drive

Modular Dual-Layer Multi-Format DVD Writer

Internal modem, 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN, and Atheros Super AG® (802.11a/b/g) wireless LAN

Max. Battery Life: 6.5 hours with main battery. 11 hours with main and bay battery

Fujitsu Extended Service Plans, 3 years on all 3 below:

International Limited Warranty Extension
This plan extends the support and service offered during the original warranty period, including technical support. This plan begins immediately after your original warranty expires. (Not applicable for those products covered under a three-year warranty period, only available in the USA and Canada.)

Executive Mobile Service Planą
Designed specifically for on-the-go mobile professionals or those needing an extra measure of coverage, our Executive Mobile Service is an available upgrade providing on-location repair service within the contiguous United States. After a telephone call, to determine if a dispatch is necessary, a trained technician will be sent directly to your location, providing added convenience, increased system availability and quick repair.

Screen Damage Protection Plan
Accidental damage to a screen is not covered under our International Limited Warranty and the cost to replace a screen could surpass your entire purchase price. Screen Damage Protection offers you the "peace of mind" that screens may be replaced, up to twice during a one-year period. (USA and Canada only)

slimdog360
July 12th, 2006, 04:17 AM
your a lucky man and thats a very nice computer

prizrak
July 12th, 2006, 04:31 AM
It got pretty good reviews on CNET so I think your wife will be happy with it.

Compucore
July 12th, 2006, 04:34 AM
(As will smith from Men in Black would say and without trying to swear either. "Darn Man.") I would love to instal linux on a machine like that. I would be definately a happy camper on that one.

Compucore

RAV TUX
July 12th, 2006, 04:51 AM
your a lucky man and thats a very nice computer

I love my wife.;)

Jucato
July 12th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Tablet PC... my "dream" computer... Though it looks a bit too thick because of the keyboard, so that it looks more like a Laptop/Tablet PC.

@yozef: sure you don't want to convince your wife to install dreamlinux instead? :D

tseliot
July 12th, 2006, 08:52 AM
everything just worked, with a little tweaking to enable the pen tablet function to work perfectly)
Is there an application which handles tablet functions in Ubuntu or what?

P.S. Seeing that computer increased my salivation :-P

RAV TUX
July 12th, 2006, 01:13 PM

Yes, there is. I'll have to find the link and post it.

@yozef: sure you don't want to convince your wife to install dreamlinux instead? :D

This is a dream that may come true, the Dreamlinux devs. have offered to help me with the use of the MKdistro tool to show me how to build my own distro. I am thinking of making it Ubuntu based with knoppix-hardware detection, Dreamlinux with a gnome desktop.

Jucato
July 12th, 2006, 03:06 PM
This is a dream that may come true, the Dreamlinux devs. have offered to help me with the use of the MKdistro tool to show me how to build my own distro. I am thinking of making it Ubuntu based with knoppix-hardware detection, Dreamlinux with a gnome desktop.

Great! Then maybe you could share with us that knowledge? :D

I think on Ubuntu dev blogged about his experiences with a Tablet PC and Ubuntu, specially about the part where you turn the Tablet PC in a portrait or landscape orientation and then Ubuntu will also adjust. I'm not really sure what that process is called, or what Tablet PC he was using. :D I think you can find his blog entries in Planet Ubuntu.

prizrak
July 12th, 2006, 05:13 PM

P.S. Seeing that computer increased my salivation :-P
Xorg handles the tablet functions. If you look at your xorg.conf you will see 2-3 sections (don't remember) that deal with Wacom tablet, that's what controls the touchscreen/digitizer functions on the tablet. I believe it will also handle screen orientation and everything. Might have to do a bit of tweaking on it.

RAV TUX
July 13th, 2006, 06:33 AM
here are some Tablet links for Ubuntu:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=110050&highlight=Wacom+tablet

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/FujitsuT4010D?highlight=%28fujitsu%29

http://calkinsc.home.comcast.net/fujitsu_st_4000.html

tseliot
July 13th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the answers, guys :)

RAV TUX
July 13th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Tablet PC... my "dream" computer... Though it looks a bit too thick because of the keyboard, so that it looks more like a Laptop/Tablet PC.

This is true, I would call it a "convertible" Notebook/Tablet PC, which gives you the best of a notebook PC and a tablet PC all in one.

Thanks for the answers, guys :)

Good Welcome! somewhere there is a page with about every tablet model listed and how to get Ubuntu working on them.

does anybody have the link handy? please post it here.

RAV TUX
July 16th, 2006, 04:14 AM
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1261239#post1261239

RAV TUX
July 23rd, 2006, 06:04 AM
I just wanted to follow up: my wifes computer came in yesterday.

This is on awesome piece of Japanese engineering!

She loves it an has used it in Tablet mode about 98% of the time.

We still have to do some tinkering with it but she has been working on her priorities loading her music collection and artwork on it. :p

we still have to enable the fingerprint security sensor and the wireless modem.

I still have to load Ubuntu on it, I will most likely will do a dual boot even though she only wants Ubuntu.

I am strongly convinced that the only notebooks that make any sense are Convertibles! (Notebook/Tablet).

I need a notebook for myself and I will buy a Convertible also.

If you can afford it I would highly recommend a Fujitsu T4210 Convertible.

My wife loves it! and her happiness is priceless.

(I should mention that at first she was adamantly opposed to get a Convertible or Tablet PC, when we finally decided to order the T4210 she felt she would never use the pen tablet portion, but now that she has it, she loves the pen/tablet and like I said before only uses the computer in Tablet form about 98% of the time) she just said if not 99%:p

prizrak
July 23rd, 2006, 07:06 AM
Awesome, I got an Acer TravelMate C310 convertible (That is the actual name for the laptop+tablet systems) and got all the stuff working on it including the digitizer and all :) I made a fairly easy How-to on getting the tablet work as well, located @ http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=219004 Now the only thing I would say you have to watch out for is where exactly the tablet is attached, I found out where mine was through device manager it listed the port it was hooked up to. Alternatively you can just use /dev/wacom as the location but might have to changed the Configured Mouse device to /dev/input/mouse# (w/e that # is for you) otherwise you can't click with either the tablet or the regular mouse. One thing I haven't look at yet is the screen flip button not too sure where to start at all.

All in all, convertibles definetly make alot more sense than the regular Laptops or "pure" tablets (unless you work in the field alot). You get a hell of alot more functionality from it :)

RAV TUX
July 23rd, 2006, 07:11 AM
Awesome, I got an Acer TravelMate C310 convertible (That is the actual name for the laptop+tablet systems) and got all the stuff working on it including the digitizer and all :) I made a fairly easy How-to on getting the tablet work as well, located @ http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=219004 Now the only thing I would say you have to watch out for is where exactly the tablet is attached, I found out where mine was through device manager it listed the port it was hooked up to. Alternatively you can just use /dev/wacom as the location but might have to changed the Configured Mouse device to /dev/input/mouse# (w/e that # is for you) otherwise you can't click with either the tablet or the regular mouse. One thing I haven't look at yet is the screen flip button not too sure where to start at all.

All in all, convertibles definetly make alot more sense than the regular Laptops or "pure" tablets (unless you work in the field alot). You get a hell of alot more functionality from it :)

Wow. Thanks for the link to your How To. I am sure I will have plenty of questions.

Is your pen passive or active? ours is active.

I figured there will be two major challenges here:

1. Screen orientation button

2. fingerprint sensor

also do you know if there is a list of GNU/Linux programs for a Convertible PC? specifically Tablet programs.