PDA

View Full Version : Saucy Salamander

mörgæs
April 25th, 2013, 04:56 PM
http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2013/04/25/the-supercalifragilisticexpialidocious-scorpionfish-not/

Bummer. I was hoping to see a Speeding Sloth.

oldos2er
April 25th, 2013, 06:06 PM
I think the name pool should be broadened to include substances as well as animals. Say, Sparkling Silicate.

QIII
April 25th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Secretive Sasquatch

mörgæs
April 25th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Being non-native in English I have to ask the stupid question: Is 'saucy' used in everyday language, and what exactly does it mean? I tried a few dictionaries but didn't find anything lucid.

grahammechanical
April 25th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Saucy = a) impudent b) lively, vivacious, cheerful. Do a google search for saucy postcards to get a less impressive meaning in English of saucy.

http://www.donaldmcgill.info/

mörgæs
April 25th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Rofl. I got it now :-)

iamkuriouspurpleoranj
April 26th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Funnily enough, I had guessed "Sassy Salamander". So I'm quite chuffed it was so close.

Still wish it had been Stupid Sphynx, though.

Frogs Hair
April 26th, 2013, 09:00 PM
I've caught a slimy salamander , but not a saucy one . they're rather slow out of the water. ;)

White Rasta
April 26th, 2013, 09:22 PM
I was rooting for Schizophrenic Squirrel

forrestcupp
April 26th, 2013, 10:28 PM
I was hoping for Spongebob Squarepants. :)

Being non-native in English I have to ask the stupid question: Is 'saucy' used in everyday language, and what exactly does it mean? I tried a few dictionaries but didn't find anything lucid.

I see what you did there. :)

We don't use Oneiric or Ocelot regularly, either.

ARooster
April 27th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Oh come on!!! What's with these names??? What would be wrong with a regular, easy-to-remember, perhaps even one-word, name?

howefield
April 27th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Oh come on!!! What's with these names??? What would be wrong with a regular, easy-to-remember, perhaps even one-word, name?

You can call it 13.10 if you like. ;-)

SantaFe
April 27th, 2013, 10:21 AM
You can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can call me Johnny or you can call me Sonny, or you can call me RayJay, or you can call me RJ… but ya doesn’t hafta call me Saucy Salamander! :D

mörgæs
April 27th, 2013, 10:26 AM

Agree, it's actually a stupid idea. Referring to the same release by a name and a number serves no purpose and it makes searching for information difficult.

ARooster
April 27th, 2013, 10:32 AM
You can call it 13.10 if you like. ;-)

Hehehe, gee, thanks! Well, I've been calling them by version number since Karmic Koala. I do think the naming is a part of the problem with lack of popularity. I have been running Ubuntu as my main OS (with the help of VirtualBox for the tasks you just can't avoid the proprietary OS for and the occasional boot into same proprietary OS when all the hardware needs to be managed by said OS) for years now and I must say I am quite happy with the performance. It is great on the user-friendliness front, it's stable, it has more and more software running on it,... but it still has the "It's a Linux distro, that's for geeks only!" vibe to it. This is, IMO, only reinforced by the silly naming.

howefield
April 27th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Referring to the same release by a name and a number serves no purpose...

Which is why that isn't the case, it is Saucy Salamander only whilst it is being developed.

I'd think that those who are interested in the development release, ie, those who use, test, report bugs ect, ect would probably cope with whatever the development release is called.

mörgæs
April 27th, 2013, 10:45 AM
I know, but the animal names tend to stick after release.

A golden rule within marketing is to establish one strong identity of a brand. People (meaning an ordinary non-technical end user) should not wonder "what's the difference between 13.04 and Raring".

ARooster
April 27th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Exactly! 13.10 doesn't go very far as far as brand name. You can very well just go the whole way and just call it 00001101 00001010

Elfy
April 27th, 2013, 01:53 PM
If it means that much - create a bug report.

ARooster
April 27th, 2013, 03:18 PM
If it means that much - create a bug report.

I thought salamanders ate bugs...

forrestcupp
April 27th, 2013, 03:49 PM
I know, but the animal names tend to stick after release.

A golden rule within marketing is to establish one strong identity of a brand. People (meaning an ordinary non-technical end user) should not wonder "what's the difference between 13.04 and Raring".But this is their way of establishing a strong identity of their brand. It's been that way since the very first release. People just expect that out of Ubuntu. That's one thing it's known for.

iamkuriouspurpleoranj
April 27th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Yeah, today it's a byword for risqué etc. but at the time of Shakespeare it meant impudent/impertinent. It's a rather tame word, really.

ARooster
April 28th, 2013, 09:40 AM
But this is their way of establishing a strong identity of their brand. It's been that way since the very first release. People just expect that out of Ubuntu. That's one thing it's known for.

Yes, but they wish to grow. If all they cared about was keeping their existing users Unity would look more like GNOME 2. Yes, Unity is getting to be quite stable. It looks good and it's a lot less fidgety and more productivity-friendly than say Cairo dock. Yes, the vast majority of people switching to other distros when Unity first came out was probably due to the stability issues and this seems to be in the past now. But still, the move was too fast and too radical if they wanted to just "keep the boat steady." They were trying to reinvent themselves and to push towards a larger fan base. I am quite certain a more tame brand name would be less of a put-off for the old hands than constantly changing the UI functionality.

Ichtyandr
April 28th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Apparently there is already a cafe under that name (http://www.saucysalamander.com/) in Annapolis, MD

ARooster
April 28th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Apparently there is already a cafe under that name (http://www.saucysalamander.com/) in Annapolis, MD

Perhaps they could add a Hot Ubuntu pancake - a pancake with decoration in the shape of Ubuntu logo - to their breakfast offering... :D

codingman
April 28th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Being non-native in English I have to ask the stupid question: Is 'saucy' used in everyday language..

Not the last time I checked, except in Italian restaurants.

codingman
April 28th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Hehehe, gee, thanks! Well, I've been calling them by version number since Karmic Koala. I do think the naming is a part of the problem with lack of popularity.

Yes, and Ubuntu certainly has low popularity...

kevdog
April 29th, 2013, 04:21 AM
Yes, but they wish to grow. If all they cared about was keeping their existing users Unity would look more like GNOME 2. Yes, Unity is getting to be quite stable. It looks good and it's a lot less fidgety and more productivity-friendly than say Cairo dock. Yes, the vast majority of people switching to other distros when Unity first came out was probably due to the stability issues and this seems to be in the past now. But still, the move was too fast and too radical if they wanted to just "keep the boat steady." They were trying to reinvent themselves and to push towards a larger fan base. I am quite certain a more tame brand name would be less of a put-off for the old hands than constantly changing the UI functionality.

Although Unity and Cairo-Dock are on the surface similar -- but the have different functions. I can't say I would call them equivalent. I really like cairo-dock btw.

roly33
April 29th, 2013, 08:59 AM
I think Canonical are following the Microsoft idea of codenames for development.

Windows XP= Whistler
Windows Vista= Longhorn
Windows 7= Blackcombe

Roland

Paqman
April 29th, 2013, 09:39 AM
I do think the naming is a part of the problem with lack of popularity.

Can you think of any other highly popular operating systems that also use a version number and an animal-based codename?

ARooster
April 29th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Can you think of any other highly popular operating systems that also use a version number and an animal-based codename?
It's not about animal-based codenames, it's about silly animal-based codenames. and Saucy Salamander is silly.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
April 29th, 2013, 04:53 PM
I like the names, at least till we run out of letters, i am hoping for this one:
Ubuntu 15.04 Victorious Velociraptor

kamranm1200
April 29th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Honestly, I love the name Saucy Salamander. It's kinda catchy.

Paqman
April 30th, 2013, 10:59 AM
It's not about animal-based codenames, it's about silly animal-based codenames. and Saucy Salamander is silly.

Heh, well as long there are other distros releasing the likes of the Beefy Miracle (http://beefymiracle.org/) then Ubuntu isn't in much danger of stealing the silliness crown.

Does everything need to be deadly earnest all the time? It's just software innit.

Statia
April 30th, 2013, 04:36 PM
We don't use Oneiric or Ocelot regularly, either.

How do you titillate an ocelot?
You oscillate its tit a lot!

Statia
April 30th, 2013, 04:39 PM

Yes. Fedora 18, "Sperical Cow".

EDIT: Now I get it... Snow Leopard et cetera... Well, not very popular in this household :-)

JonPaul
April 30th, 2013, 05:55 PM
sausage sandwich anyone?

codingman
May 1st, 2013, 01:52 AM
^ No thank you. I'm a vegetarian.

mr john
May 1st, 2013, 08:31 PM
I eat vegetarians

codingman
May 2nd, 2013, 12:12 AM
How interesting. :???: