PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Clock Screensaver

ibjsb4
April 25th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Looking for a screensaver thats an analog clock that will fill the entire monitor so it can be seen from anywhere in the room. Shouldn't make a difference, but its going on an Xubuntu 12o4 box that currently has no screensaver setup. Thanks

ibjsb4
April 28th, 2013, 05:00 AM
bump

stinkeye
April 28th, 2013, 01:37 PM
This was done in 13.04 but should also work in 12.04 and 12.10

I successfully compiled xscreensaver with a patch to include an analogue clock fom this page...
http://www.d8.dion.ne.jp/~pt2k/software/xscreensaver-clock/index_e.html

Installed packages for building...

sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc libgtk2.0-dev checkinstall

Downloaded the latest xscreensaver source code.
Direct link ----> http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/xscreensaver-5.21.tar.gz

Dowloaded the clock patch... xs-clock-patch-1.0.0-for-xscreensaver-5.15.diff.gz from
http://www.d8.dion.ne.jp/~pt2k/software/xscreensaver-clock/index_e.html

Placed both downloads in the created directory ~/src

Then followed the directions on the above page for installing in Ubuntu 12.04 with a couple of changes for the directory I used to compile in, the source version and used checkinstall instead of make install.
eg

sudo apt-get remove gnome-screensaver
sudo apt-get install libglade2-dev libxt-dev
cd ~/src
tar xzf xscreensaver-5.21.tar.gz
cd xscreensaver-5.21
zcat ../xs-clock-patch-1.0.0-for-xscreensaver-5.15.diff.gz | patch -p1
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
sudo checkinstall
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/xscreensaver-command /usr/bin/gnome-screensaver-command

In the unity dash enter screensaver or in terminal run xscreensaver-demo to configure.
By default the clock wanders, but you can fix the clock in the settings button.

In startup applications, for the Screensaver entry, replace the command gnome-screensaver with xscreensaver -nosplash

ibjsb4
April 28th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Thanks stinkeye.

I had no idea it was going to be this complex. Ill try it in a vm later. I wonder if this can be transfered to a thumb drive after the build. Be nice just to be able to go to this persons house and download it and be on my way.

stinkeye
April 28th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Thanks stinkeye.

I had no idea it was going to be this complex. Ill try it in a vm later. I wonder if this can be transfered to a thumb drive after the build. Be nice just to be able to go to this persons house and download it and be on my way.
The checkinstall command creates a deb file in the ~/src/xscreensaver-5.21 directory.
eg I have /home/glen/src/xscreensaver-5.21/xscreensaver_5.21-1_amd64.deb after installation.
So I imagine you could use that deb to install on the same release and architecture.

The deb I created in 13.04 also works in my 12.10 install. Used gdebi to install and it just gave a warning about a different version in the repos.
I know very little about this sort of stuff though.
It surprised me when adding the patch and building, it actually worked let alone using that deb to install in 12.10 :o