PDA

View Full Version : Extras and extras

codypumper
July 12th, 2006, 03:35 AM
What are your favorite "extra/leisure" applications, or apps that make you say wow?
Totally random I know...

diepruis
July 12th, 2006, 04:58 AM
amaroK!

codypumper
July 12th, 2006, 05:00 AM
I'd have to agree on that one, although its interface is a bit cluttered

diepruis
July 12th, 2006, 05:02 AM
I'd have to agree on that one, although its interface is a bit cluttered

Yeah and the media library needs some work. Otherwise its so much better than winamp.

Also Swiftfox is really cool.

Compucore
July 12th, 2006, 05:09 AM
Seeing an old game that I had not played for years that was in the repositories and found out that its cool. Remember Burgertime from the 80/90's found the equivilant called burger space. And one other once called Armagetron which is a light cycle game which was also cool. There are some apps that are there whether its a eye opener for me.

Compucore

RAV TUX
July 12th, 2006, 05:21 AM
KSudoku

diepruis
July 12th, 2006, 11:01 AM
You also have to check out Apollon. Connects to 4 peer-to-peer networkd at once.

Footissimo
July 12th, 2006, 11:10 AM
I love finding little gems whilst looking through the repos or browsing forums..two recent ones are last-exit and KoverArtist. Was whooping over LiVES too, but that seems rather buggy to say the least :(

frodon
July 12th, 2006, 11:12 AM
epiphany, it's so light and fast :)

B0rsuk
July 12th, 2006, 12:10 PM
yakuake - togglable, quake-style command console. Seems to require KDE. It's very convenient. I configured it to slide down when I press alt-` (just ` in quake), and slide up when focus is lost.

xaos - have fun with fractals.

aview .... aviev image - view images in ascii. You can play around with brightness, gamma, contrast, zoom, move etc.
Basically everything that uses aalib; you can view movies in ascii etc.
If you have aalib installed, you can probably check out some demos like aafire.

randtype - very fun program that pretends someone is typing the text. For example, install it and try:

$ ls -l | randtype -m 5
$ randtype -m 5 textfilename

codypumper
July 12th, 2006, 02:46 PM
I'm impressed with Deomcracy player

YvesDL
July 12th, 2006, 02:59 PM
My new favorite is freenx.

Easy to install from the seveas depot, it's a desktop server for remote access purposes. Very fast, secure (uses SSH tunneling trought port 22). I use it to access my server's desktop and apps. The corresponding clients are available for Linux (from seveas depot) and for Windows (from nomachine.com).

Just a thing. It's preferable to uninstall completly OpenSSH server (if it's already installed), and to install freenx first. OpenSSH will install anyway as a dependency BUT with the right configurations for freenx. Use default options when asked by Synaptic.

You gotta try it! It's a blow. :p

YvesDL