PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] apt-get upgrade: Which type of update does? (security, recommended, not published,..)

antoniorueda2013
April 25th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Hello, Iīm introducing in this new exciting world of Ubuntu and I would want to ask something that I have in mind and donīt find an answer: If I use update manager, I can choose between security, recomended, not published or not supported updates, but If I use the apt-get upgrade tool, which type of update does? Maybe there is some configuration file that is changed when I change Update Manager`s options and both do the same update?

Thank you very much!!

fantab
April 25th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Yes. Its called 'sources.list'. It is located at /etc/apt/sources.list. Yes, 'apt-get upgrade' and upgrade from Update-Manager use the same settings.

'apt-get upgrade does the same job as update manager, except apt-get upgrade is more manual.

pfeiffep
April 25th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Hello, Iīm introducing in this new exciting world of Ubuntu and I would want to ask something that I have in mind and donīt find an answer: If I use update manager, I can choose between security, recomended, not published or not supported updates, but If I use the apt-get upgrade tool, which type of update does? Maybe there is some configuration file that is changed when I change Update Manager`s options and both do the same update?

Thank you very much!!

Welcome to the world of freedom computing!

sudo apt-get updatesynchronizes the latest available software listings to your computer. It doesn't install anything, that's what upgrade does! (all apt-get commands should be run with sudo)

Complete explanation is available by typing in a terminal window
man apt-get

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Packaging_Tool) has some more info.

Synaptic Package Manager is an excellent GUI front end for apt-get that is available in the software center.

snowpine
April 25th, 2013, 12:50 PM
If you are new to Ubuntu then I recommend you apply all recommended updates (the default setting, not changing any configs or checking/unchecking any boxes). This will get you the latest bug fixes and security patches for the software you already have installed (and nothing more).

Either run the Update Manager with the default settings, or if you prefer the terminal:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Your choice; the methods produce identical results. :)

antoniorueda2013
April 27th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Thanks you guys! Iīm not used to be answered so soon! Actually, I have verified that after cheking the las two ones (not published, not supported), /etc/apt/sources.list has been added with two more lines:

precise-proposed restricted main multiverse universe
precise-backports restricted main multiverse universe

I have now another question, I have added some ppaīs with add-apt-repository commands. These ppas appear in Ubuntuīs software center -> software origin-> another software, but they donīt appear in /etc/apt/sources.list , so , is there another file with those repositories?

Thank you again, See you!

pfeiffep
April 27th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Did you execute apt-get update after installing ppa's?

snowpine
April 27th, 2013, 05:44 PM
I do not recommend "proposed" repo for non-developers. According to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu (lots of good info on that page) the propsed repo is described as:

The testing area for updates. This repository is recommended only to those interested in helping to test updates and provide feedback.

As far as where PPA's are configured, look in the folder /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ and you should see a .list file for each of your PPA's.

antoniorueda2013
April 29th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Pfeiffep: Yes I did, and yes SnowPine, there are there. Thank you guys!

Cheesemill
April 29th, 2013, 11:25 AM
I have now another question, I have added some ppaīs with add-apt-repository commands. These ppas appear in Ubuntuīs software center -> software origin-> another software, but they donīt appear in /etc/apt/sources.list , so , is there another file with those repositories?

All of the files in the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory get looked at as well, this is where PPA's get added when you use the add-apt-repository command.

antoniorueda2013
May 1st, 2013, 02:09 PM
Thanks Cheesemill! Since Iīm begginer, Iīm trying to understand how it works. I have another question: When you add the ppaīs, the system advises when are updates of this repositories available? I mean, in the way the updater manager does, or this is only for official repositories? I view it from a programmer point of view, can he advise his users that there is an update available?
More I study and learn more I like Ubuntu/Linux world! itīs fascinating!
Thank you all!