PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu.com redesign

s.fox
April 25th, 2013, 09:27 AM
As some might have noticed ubuntu.com (http://www.ubuntu.com/) has had a redesign, including the top navigation menu. Community seems to have been lost in the update and there is feeling it should be restored. A bug has been created, and while not specifically forum community, it is wider community none the less.

http://i.imgur.com/7O96gka.png

The bug report can be found here (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-website-content/+bug/1172422) , if you feel you are affected by this bug then please click the affects me too link (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-website-content/+bug/1172422/+affectsmetoo). Please do not comment unless you have something "useful or new to add" to the report. Posting "Me too" is not that helpful. Thank you :)

ibjsb4
April 25th, 2013, 01:12 PM
What about a "me too" bump :D

forrestcupp
April 25th, 2013, 02:04 PM
I think it's great to see community pushes for bug fixes. It seems like this method is going to be effective.

s.fox
April 25th, 2013, 02:48 PM
I think it's great to see community pushes for bug fixes. It seems like this method is going to be effective.

I think the forum is an excellent platform to make the community aware of community related bugs on launchpad.

prodigy_
April 25th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Working as intended. Canonical stopped caring about the community ca.2009 so it's about time they made this change.

I'm not gloating BTW. It's all somewhat sad actually. But people need to realize that moving on isn't such a bad thing.

mr john
April 25th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Canonical stopped caring about the community ca.2009

Nonsense.

tgalati4
April 25th, 2013, 06:02 PM
So is this now officially Bug #2?

s.fox
April 25th, 2013, 08:29 PM
The bug has been marked as Won't Fix without a follow up comment.

I believe it is time to make the community presence known. Please do have a look at the bug.

Warren Hill
April 25th, 2013, 10:22 PM
As some might have noticed ubuntu.com (http://www.ubuntu.com/) has had a redesign, including the top navigation menu. Community seems to have been lost in the update and there is feeling it should be restored. A bug has been created, and while not specifically forum community, it is wider community none the less.

http://i.imgur.com/7O96gka.png

The bug report can be found here (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-website-content/+bug/1172422) , if you feel you are affected by this bug then please click the affects me too link (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-website-content/+bug/1172422/+affectsmetoo). Please do not comment unless you have something "useful or new to add" to the report. Posting "Me too" is not that helpful. Thank you :)

+1 million

Ubuntu: "I am because we are".

This affects all of us. We have the products PC, tablet, phone to support the community. Not the community to support the products

:guitar:

Not only clicked "affects me too" but left a long comment.

Edit: fully agree that "+1" and "Me too" comments should not be added. Read the comments that are there already and only add a comment if you feel it contributes something new to the argument.

vasa1
April 26th, 2013, 05:25 AM
The bug has been marked as Won't Fix without a follow up comment.

I believe it is time to make the community presence known. Please do have a look at the bug.

Definitely upsetting but not surprising. I think it's time the "community" understands its real position in the scheme of things.

"but I am not interesting in having a discussion with irrational people" sort of is a pointer.

I haven't contributed at all to "Ubuntu" but my sympathies are with those members of the community who have done so selflessly over the years..

vasa1
April 26th, 2013, 07:43 AM
I reread Jono Bacon's comment (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-website-content/+bug/1172422/comments/19). In my opinion, it doesn't read well. I wish things were worded differently.

Folks, hold your horses. Implies haste on someone else's part. What really happened was that the status quo was changed based on the input of twelve testers.

The position or prominence of the word 'Community' on ubuntu.com does not have a direct correlation to the importance of the community in the eyes of Canonical or Ubuntu leadership. In other words, just because you don't see Community in the header doesn't mean we suddenly don't care about the community any more. Below the fold!

I do however think that the position and prominence of the word 'community' on ubuntu.com is an important discussion that we should have, ... at the next UDS; the very place designed to have those discussions.
Then what about the change already made?

... Emotive ranting ... bickering ...Unfortunate choice of words.

Finally, don't get too wrapped up on 'Won't Fix': people always flip out about 'Won't Fix'.
More of the same.

Elfy
April 26th, 2013, 07:55 AM

I haven't contributed at all to "Ubuntu" but my sympathies are with those members of the community who have done so selflessly over the years..

Yes you have.

Or were the support posts you seem to have made a mistake ;)

forrestcupp
April 26th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Wow. That's crazy. I just read through those comments. This is very discouraging. I've always had a pretty high respect for Jono Bacon, but it seems like he's throwing us under a bus to keep the peace with his coworkers.

Benjamin Kerensa made a great point when he said that it's not the Canonical web site; it's Ubuntu's web site. Ubuntu is the community supported OS. Canonical is the one selling products, not Ubuntu.

mr john
April 26th, 2013, 09:27 PM
They pay his wages. He's gotta tow the company line if he wants to put food on the table. I wonder how long before this thread gets locked or buried in an sub-obscure forum. This sort of topic usually doesn't go down too well with those at the top. They don't like people questioning things.

forrestcupp
April 26th, 2013, 10:23 PM
They pay his wages. He's gotta tow the company line if he wants to put food on the table. I wonder how long before this thread gets locked or buried in an sub-obscure forum. This sort of topic usually doesn't go down too well with those at the top. They don't like people questioning things.

We're starting an insurrection to stick it to the man! :guitar:

Just joking. ;)

Elfy
April 27th, 2013, 08:20 AM
mmmm - let's see, one admin jails another admins thread ...

apart from which - we feel the same way ;)

forrestcupp
April 27th, 2013, 03:51 PM
mmmm - let's see, one admin jails another admins thread ...

apart from which - we feel the same way ;)

Right. The leaders of the forums are the ones who have more reason to be concerned with this than almost anyone. The only people who would want to shut this down would be the people over Jono Bacon, and they're never going to look at this.

castrojo
April 27th, 2013, 03:57 PM
I wonder how long before this thread gets locked or buried in an sub-obscure forum. This sort of topic usually doesn't go down too well with those at the top. They don't like people questioning things.

Really? Do you have any evidence of someone "at the top" closing threads on the forums?

codingman
April 28th, 2013, 10:51 PM
Sad. I thought the people like Jono were sensible. Oh well, it seems all the time I took to answer those support questions I answered on this forumwere wastes of my time.

Iowan
April 29th, 2013, 12:34 AM
Oh well, it seems all the time I took to answer those support questions I answered on this forumwere wastes of my time.Were they a waste if they helped someone solve a problem? I have a great deal of respect/admiration for those who can/will help others solve problems - just for the warm/fuzzy feeling.

ibjsb4
April 29th, 2013, 12:37 AM
just for the warm/fuzzy feeling.

I always thought that was the beer

Iowan
April 29th, 2013, 12:57 AM
I always thought that was the beer
Off-topic: That'd be a cool/fizzy feeling - unless you prefer warm beer. ;)

codingman
April 29th, 2013, 04:55 AM
Were they a waste if they helped someone solve a problem? I have a great deal of respect/admiration for those who can/will help others solve problems - just for the warm/fuzzy feeling.

I can and have been. Although not so much lately as I have mostly moved on from Ubuntu. I no longer use the OS except occasionally when I break out the old laptop, and the times I do that isn't enough to help people so much on these forums. Sure, I can still throw some generic command out for the person, but I mostly use ubuntuforums for its other OS and Offtopic areas. On other forums, I help people, because I am using that certain OS. Those times I helped were a waste of time in regards to that the community is now neglected by the now knee-deep-in-enterprise Ubuntu. In a way saying that all of the efforts that I and other members took to help people is not worthy of being noticed unless you want to scroll a bunch. It is not the Canonical site, it is the Ubuntu OS site.

vasa1
April 29th, 2013, 06:00 AM
Here's a probably silly analogy: If we think of Ubuntu as a device being launched into outer space, various components are jettisoned as flight proceeds.

As long as the people who contribute to the development of the components to be jettisoned understand what their role is (or was) there shouldn't be any ill-will.

That's why it's important for a person whose job is to "manage" the community, if the title is to be taken literally, to do a thorough job of explaining even patently obvious matters patiently and politely and honestly (without meaning to imply any deliberate attempts to mislead anyone by anyone).

I fully understand that the role of the "community" will change over time and, as opportunities present themselves, "course adjustments" will be needed.

To my mind, just because something is on ubuntu.com doesn't automatically make it "community-owned".

forrestcupp
April 29th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Were they a waste if they helped someone solve a problem? I have a great deal of respect/admiration for those who can/will help others solve problems - just for the warm/fuzzy feeling.

I agree. It wasn't a waste of time for all of the people who needed help and you helped them out of a stressful situation. I'm sure all of the people who are getting help appreciate it, even if it seems like Canonical doesn't see our importance.

It would be interesting to see the repercussions if this forum were to suddenly go down permanently.

codingman
April 30th, 2013, 03:43 AM
Ask Ubuntu seems to be a more Canonical-approved site. UF seems to sort of seem like a rock in the path for Canonical.

forrestcupp
April 30th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Ask Ubuntu seems to be a more Canonical-approved site. UF seems to sort of seem like a rock in the path for Canonical.
We're the thing they wish would just go away but won't. :D

codingman
May 4th, 2013, 03:30 AM
^ Exactly.