PDA

View Full Version : Lucid 10.04LTS user - what should I move to?

Phil Airtime
April 24th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Hi :KS

Just a quick question, really - although this may turn into a slightly longer post!

I have been a very happy user of 10.04LTS (Lucid Lynx) on my desktop since it was released. In that time, I've tried out the various new releases, but quite frankly Ubuntu lost me at Unity. I like the desktop I've got with my Lucid, I've had three years to get it just the way I want, and I don't really want to change to a completely new desktop style. But I believe that support for this version is about to go away, and I don't really want to run a desktop that is not getting security updates.

Over the past few months, I've spent time trying out different alternatives. The closest I've got to my beloved 10.04LTS has been Xubuntu, but it has so many little niggles that make it just that little bit too different. Linux Mint with MATE has also been on my radar, but it doesn't seem to support Compiz, at least on my computer. And Kubuntu with the latest KDE is a good distro, but a bit too much of a step change.

Are there any other people out there still devoted to Lucid Lynx? If so, what are your plans once support expires? I'd like to be inspired by some other people's stories. I know it's getting long in the tooth, but I like to take something on and stick with it for as long as possible. If support wasn't going away, I'd stay with it for a lot longer! I'm also open to other distributions, if anyone has any suggestions.

I don't want this to be a pro/anti Unity bunfight. There are enough of those around the internet, and I've made my decision on Unity. It's a good product, but doesn't suit me personally, and I'd like to leave it at that!

Warren Hill
April 24th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Have a look at Ubuntu Gnome. As of 13.04 its an official release and it should be the closest thing to 10.04 available in terms of feel/performance

http://ubuntugnome.org/ Should be released sometime tomorrow.

My first choice would have been Xubuntu on old hardware but you have already said you don't want that.

stalkingwolf
April 24th, 2013, 04:39 PM
with my upgrade to 12.04 i also started installing Mate DE. As far as I know it can be used with all flavors of ubuntu and debian.
I have used it with xubuntu , zorin 6.1, ubuntu, Ultimate edition and several others. I finally decided that the only difference is what is included and what i have to add.

ibjsb4
April 24th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Gnome_Classic will support compiz and although its not an exact gnome2 replacement, I find it close enough.

A link to some tweaks:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseGnomeClassicTweaks

Bucky Ball
April 24th, 2013, 05:29 PM
As you can upgrade through the update manager to 12.04 LTS in one click, why not go there then install xfce4 which is the Xubuntu desktop environment (not all the programs, don't install xubuntu-desktop). That's it. Your apps should be setup as they were.

12.04 LTS is supported for five years, til April 2017. LTS is upgradable to the next LTS through the update manager. The interim releases, unless they are directly before the next LTS (at the moment every two years), don't.

Primefalcon
April 24th, 2013, 06:34 PM
upgrade to 12.04 gnome desktop and you'll get the classic gnome option

MadmanRB
April 24th, 2013, 06:36 PM
XFCE is your best bet, its the closest to classic gnome without using MATE

grahammechanical
April 24th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Have a look at Ubuntu Gnome. As of 13.04 its an official release and it should be the closest thing to 10.04 available in terms of feel/performance

It is not.

Ubuntu Gnome is based up Gnome 3 and Gnome 3 shell. It is nothing like 10.04. In fact there is a great similarity between Gnome 3 shell and unity. Ubuntu Gnome is what Ubuntu would have looked like if Unity was not invented.

mikodo
April 24th, 2013, 07:27 PM
I am in the same situation with my Ubuntu 10.04 install and have also been experimenting with different distros/DE's ( multi-booting as always ) ... My choice for replacement to Ubuntu 10.04 is Xubuntu 12.04 with a lot of customization. I actually like it a lot and it is my main OS now. Xfde is also a DE environment I can take with me to other distro's I've tried. I am not going to name them all, as I want to talk about a couple up and coming distros, both of which I am hoping will grow more legs and traction. And one quick link to another distro-hopper who definitely knows his stuff.

kansasnoob (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=554595&) (distro-hopper extraordinaire), with many ideas for you to follow in links:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2090021&

As I believe Gnome3 is dropping Gnome Classic soon ( or has already ), here is a fork of it, that is to have the look and feel of Gnome2 ( still in Alpha/Beta ):

SolusOS (http://solusos.com/)

Another up and comer which is still in Alpha/Beta, that is a pre-installed DE of Arch Linux, that has me really excited:

Manjaro OS (http://manjaro.org/about/)

Have fun!

Edit: Be aware, both SolusOS and Manjaro OS have broken for me. Neither are ready for production machine's yet!

;p

MadmanRB
April 24th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Another option is linux mints cinnamon, its very much like gnome classic

lulled
April 25th, 2013, 02:28 AM
For some reason I'm yet to discover, I didn't like Mint. I know that usability, stability and ease of use are fundamental for a good system, but I don't leave look & feel far behind and I find Mate desktop basically ugly and I've tried to change the theme and all, but I failed.

I tried Gnome 3.8 which comes with the classic gnome and I enjoyed it. I don't know what are the reasons that make you want to stay with the old gnome, but if I were you, I'd run Ubuntu 13 with the - yet not officially released - gnome classic in a virtual machine.

lykwydchykyn
April 25th, 2013, 04:39 AM
I've seen a lot of people in your position asking this question over the last couple years since Ubuntu dropped GNOME. I've never been a GNOME user, but I went through pretty much the same thing back in 2008 when distros started droppping KDE3 in favor of KDE 4 (which in 2008 was *not* ready for primetime). I went through about 3 or 4 desktop environments (including some cobbled together from a-la-carte components) before making my peace with KDE 4 (though I've since moved on, but that's not important). Here's some general advice I have based on this experience.

- Right now you want to preserve a computing experience that works for you and that you like. Nothing wrong with that in the short term, but on the long term you will need to change. The gnome2 experience is just not going to live on forever. It's better to work towards changing on your own terms than be forced into it at some inopportune moment down the road.

- Observe your use of the computer, and take note of things that bother you or slow down your workflow. Ask yourself what's most important to you: speed, stability, features, ease of use, looks, power, etc. Rather than judging new environments by their similarity to what you've used before, judge them by how well they meet your actual expressed needs.

- Accept that anything will have a learning curve, and anything new will have at least a couple features that aren't as good as what you had.

- A desktop environment tends to be a long-term relationship. Consider where a given project is *going*, not just where it currently *is*. What is Mate going to be in five years? What is KDE 5 going to be? What is Unity going to be like in 16.04?

3rdalbum
April 25th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Give 12.04 a proper chance. Unity is different to Gnome 2 of course, but a great desktop for people who prefer to use their computer instead of ducking around with it.

Tamlynmac
April 25th, 2013, 09:23 AM
I was in the same position about six months ago and tried numerous distros. Finally settling on Xubuntu 12.04, customizing it to fit my needs. Customization is simple and once familiar only takes about 20 minutes (for my system - including themes). My family have also switched to Xubuntu and the only issue was Thunar (file manager), which we've since changed to Nautilus.

Xubuntu 12.04 is fast and has been extremely stable on all our systems. I tend to be minimalist and don't clutter my desktop with icons. However, other family members typically use their systems in a more conventional manner and have been very pleased with Xubuntu's XFCE DE. After testing for almost 2 months on both a desktop & laptop of multiple distros, it was a unanimous decision.

I refuse to bash or malign any other distro or DE (including Unity), as my preferences/choices are strictly based on my own needs and not those of others. IMHO it's one of the true benefits of Linux - Choice.

Phil Airtime (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=381568&)
Good luck with whichever choice you decide on. Keeping in mind that it's your system and what works for you is important, not what others think. I suggest you try a few preferred distros for "period of time" and then make your own decision. Basing said decision on your systems performance and which distro best fits your needs. Don't hurry, as you stated: "I like to take something on and stick with it for as long as possible".

Just my $0.02

mastablasta
April 25th, 2013, 09:41 AM
And Kubuntu with the latest KDE is a good distro, but a bit too much of a step change.

right click the K and select classic menu. continue from there.

i installed it, set it up and left it. i am mor einterested in applciaitons and appreciate when the OS get's out of the way.

why not Unity? because it seems aimed at searches and keyboard, while i use mostly mouse. in fact we even have one of those tables where keyboard is in a drawer under the table and mouse is mostly use there for browsing and such.

MadmanRB
April 25th, 2013, 09:58 AM
[COLOR=#000000] This article will explain what the fuss is all about.<snip>

What article?

Peripheral Visionary
April 25th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Another vote for Xubuntu 12.04. It's fast on my old Dell, easy to use, "parent-friendly," and easily configured. Relax and enjoy.