PDA

View Full Version : I really like the Ribbon interface

DisappearingOak
April 24th, 2013, 04:20 PM
I think the Ribbon interface on apps is one sensible piece of innovation. I loved it in MS Office Apps. I like my tools set out in front of me in an intuitive nice tabbed layout. I took to it from day one. But I do not understand why Linuxers hate the ribbon interface and it mostly seems to be because it's associated with Microsoft. I wish it was adopted in Linux apps.

CharlesA
April 24th, 2013, 04:46 PM
I didn't really like the Ribbon layout when I first started using Office 2007 after using Office 2003 for a long long time at work. It felt alien to me and caused problems before I had to relearn where everything was. It is human nature to want to resist change (see the Unity outcry), but sometimes it is for the better.

Paqman
April 24th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Can't say I really see the advantage of the ribbon. Apparently it was intended to improve the discoverability of options in the menus, but I find in practice there are so many things in the MS Office menus that it's just as cluttered as the drop-down menus were and you just spend time hunting through the ribbon instead of hunting through menus. Either is just as quick once you've learned where everything is, and until then I didn't find the ribbon any quicker.

I don't hate it, it's just another imperfect interface. Can't say I get quite as ragey about interfaces as some folks do around here.

prodigy_
April 24th, 2013, 05:51 PM
*in comic book guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Book_Guy)'s voice* Worst. Interface. Ever.

Well, seriously, it is.

mr john
April 24th, 2013, 06:52 PM
No, it was better to have the standard File, Edit, Vew etc... Now you have to search around for stuff a bit more.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
April 24th, 2013, 09:29 PM
*in comic book guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Book_Guy)'s voice* Worst. Interface. Ever.

Well, seriously, it is.

this

BigCityCat
April 25th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Who does not want to wear the Ribbon? Who?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGaqI20WHyk

lykwydchykyn
April 25th, 2013, 04:55 AM
But I do not understand why Linuxers hate the ribbon interface and it mostly seems to be because it's associated with Microsoft. I wish it was adopted in Linux apps.

That's a wide generalization. Most users use whatever tools are available to them on the platform they're using.

You should take a look at Calligra suite. It doesn't use a "ribbon" per se, but the features are laid out in side panels in a similarly "everything out in the open" sort of way.

vasa1
April 25th, 2013, 06:04 AM
http://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/8238/is-microsofts-ribbon-ui-really-that-great-from-a-usability-perspective/8242#8242

Virtuality314
April 25th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Well actually....

I prefer the ribbon interface as I find searching through File, Edit, Help... more clumsy and less eefficient. Honestly.
And I am horrified to see that Linuxers seem to love going through menus. (:O)

Also, there is WPS office, currently in beta, but with a ribbon interface nevertheless.:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/03/wps-office-for-linux-looks-like-microsoft-office-but-isnt

MadmanRB
April 25th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Eh the ribbon is a mess as its much harder to navigate some options in it like spellcheck,

3rdalbum
April 25th, 2013, 08:33 AM
I don't really mind the Ribbon. Some aspects of it are good - for instance, if you select a table and then go to the table formatting part of the ribbon and start going through the list of table styles, they will automatically apply to your table as your mouse moves over them. Like a real-time preview. Pretty good.

Most of the ribbon-hate is just that people don't want to relearn where things are kept. We've seen the same thing with Unity's introduction and we're still seeing it now actually as the 10.04 users will be forced to upgrade next month.

I still find myself searching through the ribbon for a particular function, from time to time, but on the whole the ribbon is a fairly decent UI.

forrestcupp
April 25th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Well, I like MS Office a lot, but it's not because of the Ribbon. I'm pretty indifferent to it; I don't love it or hate it. Ribbon is great for most day to day stuff, but if you need some feature that's not as common, it's a lot harder to find things than the old way. For instance, I print envelopes from Word a lot, and it was a major pain in the backside to find the envelope tool and set it up to launch it easily. I would think envelopes would be something common enough to just be built into the Ribbon somewhere.

lykwydchykyn
April 25th, 2013, 03:02 PM
And I am horrified to see that Linuxers seem to love going through menus. (:O)

I spoke with all the Linuxers this morning, they assured me they don't like going through menus. They prefer hitting M-x and typing a command.

Virtuality314
April 25th, 2013, 08:57 PM
I spoke withAlthough all the Linuxers this morning, they assured me they don't like going through menus. They prefer hitting M-x and typing a command.

Good.

llanitedave
April 25th, 2013, 09:20 PM
I think the Ribbon interface on apps is one sensible piece of innovation. I loved it in MS Office Apps. I like my tools set out in front of me in an intuitive nice tabbed layout. I took to it from day one. But I do not understand why Linuxers hate the ribbon interface and it mostly seems to be because it's associated with Microsoft. I wish it was adopted in Linux apps.

With therapy, perhaps you'll return to the land of reality.

I never found it intuitive, and the mix of options and functions was a long way from optimal. It was supposed to make the most commonly used functions most obvious, and hide the lesser-needed ones. Seems I always need a function that's not up at the top, and I spend more time searching for obscure options than I ever did with regular menu'd apps.

The learning curve is a lot steeper than it needs to be, and as with so many Microsoft products, you have to adapt to what they decide you need. You have no say in the matter.

Yeah, if you grow up with it, sure, you can navigate it just fine. That doesn't mean it's an improvement. A sighted person can learn braille just fine, too. That doesn't mean it's preferable to writing.

llanitedave
April 25th, 2013, 09:23 PM
That's a wide generalization. Most users use whatever tools are available to them on the platform they're using.

You should take a look at Calligra suite. It doesn't use a "ribbon" per se, but the features are laid out in side panels in a similarly "everything out in the open" sort of way.

Side panels do make for a more efficient use of screen real estate. I'd rather have those than a top one.

lykwydchykyn
April 25th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Here's a screenshot of calligra for those who don't want to download it:

http://www.calligra.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/calligra_words_spring.jpg

montag dp
April 26th, 2013, 01:20 AM
My favorite Windows program has a GUI with a command line built in (the command line also lists possible commands when you start typing). It's an awesome, efficient interface and I wish it was more popular in other programs. Plus it's script-able.