PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the Slab?

hizaguchi
July 12th, 2006, 02:37 AM
The new Suse Enterprise has a fancy main menu called the "Slab". It looks something like this:

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/1940/screenshotgnomemainmenu2eb.png

It includes integration with Beagle and offers easy access to some system settings, but does away with the cascading menu system that has been the norm.

I can't decide how I feel about it myself. I have my single Gnome menu trimmed down to work pretty much like the Slab, but it takes much less space and I can open non-favorite apps without opening an extra window. But the Slab has that handy integration with other parts of the Gnome desktop, like Beagle and networking. Plus there are probably more features on the way.

What do you think?

briancurtin
July 12th, 2006, 02:40 AM
could you post a link and/or image to whatever it is you are talking about?

hizaguchi
July 12th, 2006, 02:45 AM
Oops. Good idea. :)

Footissimo
July 12th, 2006, 02:48 AM
In itself, I like it and would probably switch, but there are a few issues with it (for me):

i) Can't change the default icon..or the word 'Computer'. Trivial I know, but annoying.
ii) Recently used apps has no apps
iii) Rather than searching for applications, it searches for files..

When the bugs are ironed out somemore, I'll use it :)

banjobacon
July 12th, 2006, 02:54 AM
I don't like the idea of the "More applications" button. It annoyed me in Windows. Is it less annoying in Suse?

I think I'd like Gimmie's application launcher better:
http://www.beatniksoftware.com/gimmie/img/gimmie-topic-apps.png

Stormy Eyes
July 12th, 2006, 03:41 AM
The new Suse Enterprise has a fancy main menu called the "Slab". It looks something like this... What do you think?

I think Novell is ripping off one of the most annoying features from Windows XP. My cat isn't impressed, and neither am I.

WildTangent
July 12th, 2006, 03:46 AM
My cat isn't impressed, and neither am I.

You've officially run the joke into the ground. ](*,)

The slab is...interesting, but I cant make a decision until I get to use it myself

-Wild

zenwhen
July 12th, 2006, 03:48 AM
I pretty much hate everything about it.

Carrots171
July 12th, 2006, 03:51 AM
I think Novell is ripping off one of the most annoying features from Windows XP.

I don't like either it because it looks ripped-off from XP, but there's always the type of person who wants everything in Linux to be just like it is Windows...

skull_leader
July 12th, 2006, 03:54 AM
Possibly annoying to people already comfortable with Linux, but godsend to people who just came in from Windows, relieved at any semblance of familiarity.

It's a great idea. I dunno if it's for me until I try it, though.

prizrak
July 12th, 2006, 04:04 AM
It could be useful, personally I almost never use the menu have a launcher bar autohide on top of the desktop. Would be a nice one stop shop for things to some other users. I believe it should be an option, choice is not a bad thing :)

vayu
July 12th, 2006, 08:13 AM
No thank you.

_simon_
July 12th, 2006, 08:41 AM
I've been using it for a while now (sled on dapper) and like it a lot.

Can't believe no-one has linked to it!

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=208131

and don't forget the new control center! - you can replace the Sled control center if you want.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=207894

Footissimo
July 12th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Whilst I can see the resemblence to the XP start panel (just as the resemblence between the Gnome menu-bar and Windows programs list is stark), not liking something just because "it looks ripped-off from XP" is ridiculous blind zealotry. On that basis, we're not allowed to like KDE, OO.o, Evolution, aMSN etc etc etc

frodon
July 12th, 2006, 10:39 AM
I don't like the concept at all, i prefer the original gnome menu.

hizaguchi
July 12th, 2006, 05:38 PM
In itself, I like it and would probably switch, but there are a few issues with it (for me):

i) Can't change the default icon..or the word 'Computer'. Trivial I know, but annoying.
ii) Recently used apps has no apps
iii) Rather than searching for applications, it searches for files..

When the bugs are ironed out somemore, I'll use it :)
Those are pretty much my feelings on it too. Plus the fact it takes up like 1/3 of the screen, and that you have to open a window to find an app instead of them putting the cascading menu under that "More Applications" button.

Although, a "Run" space would go a long way toward easing the impact of ii and iii. Recent apps, favorite apps, system info, and a mini-command line all in one drop-down box? That'd be handy.

Adamant1988
July 12th, 2006, 05:44 PM
I've been playing with it in Suse and it's been GREAT. It's very intuitive and it takes like 20 seconds to pick up on. Although I disagree with the name of the menu it's an excellent feature. I wish that it were included in Ubuntu Edgy.

lapsey
July 12th, 2006, 05:47 PM
no

a desktop in a pop-up window, how novel!

bruce89
July 12th, 2006, 05:48 PM
No, again it is nicked from Windows. We need something more innovative. (the real meaning of the word, not the MS "nicking" meaning)

christhemonkey
July 12th, 2006, 05:53 PM
No, I dont see the point, what is wrong with the menu?

Could see how it might be useful to some others though.

pchr
July 12th, 2006, 06:13 PM
I'm not keen myself, don't most people add their favourite apps to the top panel, and beagle to one of the panels if that's required? (Personally I organise my stuff quite well and almost never use file search.)

I've got nothing against having it as an option, if it was in the repositories I'd probably install it and see if it changes the way I work in a good way.

K.Mandla
July 12th, 2006, 06:26 PM
I'm not enthused by it. It doesn't strike me as particularly innovative. I haven't tried it though, either.

Didn't Apple come up with something like this about a decade ago? The "Launcher" or something like that? I didn't care for it then, either.

Maybe for the day-to-day user.

darkhatter
July 16th, 2006, 12:58 AM
This is sad, anyone who says it looks windowish has not used it and should try it before they say anything. I don't think Novell was trying to be innovative, I believe they were trying to create a desktop that could be used by non-linux users, they even went and made video of people using the desktop so that they knew what to change (wait maybe that is innovation). You may not like slab, but every other review I've seen says that Novell now leads desktop Linux. Download a copy of the pre-lease use it for a few weeks, then come back and report your findings to us.

http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/preview.html

watch that and you'll want to try it out yourself

DoktorSeven
July 16th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Blech. I like simple menus, not some all-in-one launch panel like that.

manicka
July 16th, 2006, 02:29 AM
It doesn't rock my boat

RAV TUX
July 16th, 2006, 02:30 AM
Hate the slab. Another good reason not to use SUSE.

shea241
July 16th, 2006, 08:45 AM
While it needs refinement and overall greater streamlining, I do really really like it quite a bit. And I'm normally one to hate things like this, with most of my unix desktops running a bland minimal Motif UI (and I like things that way). It does remind me of something out of XP or Vista, but that doesn't really make much difference. To be fair I did not like XP's gargantuan version of the start menu because it tried to do and show too much without any real intuitive functionality or interface. The SLAB (heh) would be even nicer if I could define categories (and subsequently show/hide in a non-obtrusive manner), if 'favorite applications' were partitioned by their category in the application browser, and if the 'Show' selection weren't a dropdown, but rather a simplistic set of horizontally laid-out icons or text (similar to the control center). I'm a pretty opinionated person when it comes to user interfaces though, so I can understand people will disagree :-)

All I can say is, I'm very impressed with Novell's latest work, even if it doesn't work quite right in Ubuntu ...... :-)

-shea

shea241
July 16th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Oh, and I almost forgot to mention; the beagle search results *should really appear in the SLAB itself*. I don't like being in one place, then having to be taken to another place to do what I wanted to do. This is similar to why I dislike clicking "More Applications ..." every time I want to launch an app. The old tree-based menu was certainly better at that. But, there is a lot of potential here ... and hey, innovation! Yay!

-shea

Virogenesis
July 16th, 2006, 11:31 AM
No, again it is nicked from Windows. We need something more innovative. (the real meaning of the word, not the MS "nicking" meaning)
Not really nicked.....I'd call it improved the windows menu doesn't have half as menu features gonna play around with it this week.