PDA

View Full Version : How Exactly do I Install C and C++?

VicariousToast
April 23rd, 2013, 11:17 PM
I'm obviously not smart enough to figure this out on my own, so I've come to the forums for help with this xD

I need some help installing C and C++. I searched google, but I didn't come up with anything that made sense to me. I'm still new to Linux, so I don't know what most of the stuff that I found means.

So could someone post a newb-friendly guide for me? I'm using Xubuntu 12.04.

schragge
April 23rd, 2013, 11:38 PM
sudo apt-get install build-essential should take care of it.

VicariousToast
April 23rd, 2013, 11:49 PM
I pasted the code into the terminal and ran it, but I can't find c or c++ with the Application Finder or Catfish. Where should the files be located?

steeldriver
April 23rd, 2013, 11:55 PM
What are you trying to do exactly?

C and C++ are languages (not applications) the build-essential package installs all the command line tools you should need to compile and run C/C++ code - but if you are expecting some kind of complete development environment like Microsoft's Visual Studio then you will need to install an IDE separately.

VicariousToast
April 24th, 2013, 12:23 AM
Ah, I see now. I was under the assumption that Linux used some other method that I didn't know about, instead an IDE. There was no mention of IDEs in any of the guides I found(which were specifically for Linux), and I never thought to search for IDEs(I'm having one of those days where I just can't think straight.).

steeldriver
April 24th, 2013, 12:31 AM
Well you don't need an IDE, in fact if you're just getting started there's lots to recommend just using a regular text editor and command line tools - it's often easier to get a feel for what's going on under the hood that way

kuifje09
April 24th, 2013, 01:09 AM
Then the next question is do you want just build a program or a windows/gui program.

shawnhcorey
April 24th, 2013, 02:06 PM
sudo apt-get install build-essential should take care of it.

Also:

sudo apt-get install manpages-dev
These are the manual pages for the development environemnt.

I pasted the code into the terminal and ran it, but I can't find c or c++ with the Application Finder or Catfish. Where should the files be located?

Try:

man gcc

alan9800
April 24th, 2013, 02:46 PM
if you wish an IDE for C++, you might try Code::Blocks (https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/codeblocks/).

VicariousToast
April 25th, 2013, 12:43 AM
Well you don't need an IDE, in fact if you're just getting started there's lots to recommend just using a regular text editor and command line tools - it's often easier to get a feel for what's going on under the hood that way

So how does that work? Is there any particular place you have to put the text file? And how is the command line used?

Then the next question is do you want just build a program or a windows/gui program.

I don't really know. I started learning C# on one of the other computers in my house, and I think it's fun. So right now I'm not looking to do anything in particular, I'm just trying to learn the basics. Later on when I get good at it I'm going to start designing games.

Also:

sudo apt-get install manpages-dev
These are the manual pages for the development environemnt.

Try:

man gcc

Thanks

if you wish an IDE for C++, you might try Code::Blocks (https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/codeblocks/).

I'll check it out, thanks.

trent.josephsen
April 25th, 2013, 12:58 AM
3 easy commands: edit, compile, run.

gedit file.c
(You may replace gedit with your editor of choice.) Write your code in the editor, save it, then

gcc -std=c99 -Wall -Wextra -pedantic file.c
./a.out

Boom. It's a similar process for C++ (although I would suggest you pick one and stick with it for a while; C and C++ are quite different).

The -std=c99 -Wall -Wextra -pedantic bit is strictly speaking not necessary. Those flags just tell gcc what dialect of C to compile (C99, in this example) and turn on a bunch of warnings that will probably help you avoid some dumb mistakes when getting started. You can alias that whole bit to something shorter; just add the following line to ~/.bash_profile and use "cc file.c" instead:

alias cc="gcc -std=c99 -Wall -Wextra -pedantic"

Just a few tips. Have fun.

VicariousToast
April 28th, 2013, 02:22 AM
Thank you for the help everyone.

kuifje09
April 29th, 2013, 12:13 AM
Maybe another tip.
If not very familiar with C and C++ it would be helpfull to use a developers gui with commandcompletion.

I used a few days ago the QT- developers suit. That is a real nice tool to create smal and big progs.
Also some helpfull tutorial files are shiped with it.

This package is also almost a wysiwyg , at least the gui designer is build-in.

kuifje09
April 29th, 2013, 12:15 AM
Would it be better to also add -march="your processor/architecture" to make the fastest executable for you machine.
And when using the math routines add -lm at the END of the cc/gcc commandline

Note: this in reaktion to post #11 .