PDA

View Full Version : malware & opensource

mastablasta
April 23rd, 2013, 09:58 AM
So i was browisng for some HTML & code editors. trying to get something better for KDE (now useing the bluefish). i need something for a real newbie.

so i was thinking maybe wysiwig - anyway decided to checkout bluegriffon again. and through various hyperlink i came to this: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.bluegriffon.devel/2537

Is this guy serious? GPL licences and he is bundling malware with the product? WTH? and what is the point? i mean this is not something innocent like he says some company adds a browser (not sure what he is talking about). browsers and such can easilly be uninstalled and they by themselves do not install other dangerous stuff or open computer to attacks. but his malware does. not only that - it also seems it is quite hard to remove it.

i understand that he needs money to survive but deliberatelly infecting peoples computers and possibly stealing their money (or at least provide a way for bad guys to steal it) is just plain stupid.

it seems to be limited to windows version but still...

Paqman
April 23rd, 2013, 11:11 AM
Installing browser toolbars and such is pretty low, but they're not malware. It's unfortunately legal, and it's pretty common to bundle stuff into one install on Windows, even big companies do it. Apple used to always try and sneak Itunes in with Quicktime (back when Quicktime was actually necessary for web content), used to do my head in.

mastablasta
April 23rd, 2013, 11:38 AM
yeah but there are the toolbars (the kind you can uninstall) and there are toolbars that are difficult to uninstall/remove and install or pull in malware.

hah i remember quicktime. removed it completelly because after certain version it just wanted too much.

also usually they ask you if oyu want to install them not shove it down your throat.

Paqman
April 23rd, 2013, 01:04 PM
yeah but there are the toolbars (the kind you can uninstall) and there are toolbars that are difficult to uninstall/remove and install or pull in malware.

As far as I can tell that's not the case here. The developer did provide an uninstall tool in his package. So not completely evil, just bad manners IMO.

Frogs Hair
April 23rd, 2013, 02:35 PM
Some software is available from different sites and those sites often bundle add-ware that doesn't normally come the product. Some times the software developers allow this bundling to perhaps get fees. Tool-bars or BHOs usually collect information and redirect to shopping sites . Any product that allows redistribution without modification to the base product is open to being bundled unless the license specifies otherwise.

forrestcupp
April 23rd, 2013, 05:27 PM
The Babylon Toolbar is not malware. It's just crapware.

SifGrey
April 23rd, 2013, 05:38 PM
The Babylon Toolbar is not malware. It's just crapware.

The stuff my parents would have on their pc.