PDA

View Full Version : Help Fund Geary

Helkaluin
April 22nd, 2013, 12:23 PM
If you haven't heard about it, Geary is a new open-source email client written by the Yorba team, who also wrote programs like Shotwell.

Geary is currently the default email application of Elementary OS, which builds upon Ubuntu.

Geary aims to be a simplistic, no-fuss, just works alternative to all the ageing email solutions on Linux. It is written in Vala, supports conversation view natively, and as all elementary applications, has a distinct focus on its æsthetics.

Yorba is pushing a funding project for the next release, which includes quite some new features that will make Geary a valid alternative for everyday emailing.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/geary-a-beautiful-modern-open-source-email-client?c=home

SifGrey
April 23rd, 2013, 09:25 AM
I've contributed but I'm afraid they won't reach the goal in time. I don't see 50,000 dollars being raised within 2 days.

Scabby_al
April 23rd, 2013, 12:11 PM
I think it's a great email client and I'm glad an email client finally has conversation view (though I might be one of the few who like it) and hope it reaches it's goal. Like with other email clients, there isn't any Exchange support nor is there any planned (as far as I know). I would like to see more projects pull me back in the Linux world and allow me to be productive in the OS, not just play around.

eric-yorba
April 23rd, 2013, 07:32 PM
Like with other email clients, there isn't any Exchange support nor is there any planned (as far as I know).

We would love to do Exchange support! That said, with a staff of 3 it would take at least a year or two to get right. There's more than one protocol, there's calendering, contacts, etc. etc. It's a lot just to spec out, let alone implement.

If we can't raise this round of funding, obviously Exchange support won't ever happen. The reality is that software is very expensive to develop.

Scabby_al
April 23rd, 2013, 07:55 PM
I certainly understand and perhaps my commend was a little misplaced as I was commenting on email clients as a whole (some with much larger staffs and ones that have been around for years). I'm just tired of using Windows but it's hard to make the switch to Linux full time when most of my applications need Windows in some way.

I appreciate all your hardware work and hopefully your goal will be met!