PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Re-installation problem

J Harp
April 21st, 2013, 09:35 PM
My 12.04 install has become slow and balky. I have downloaded the latest 12.04.2 ISO file to reinstall, but I can't get md5sum to check it. When I follow the instructions in "How to md5sum" I get nothing but error messages.

Can someone give me a (preferably graphical) method to verify the ISO file? I''m no good at typing long entries into the command line, so a click by click would be good. Thank you.

Jim

kevdog
April 21st, 2013, 09:53 PM
Hmm -- the only way I know how to check is through command line where you type:
md5sum <name of iso image>

If the iso image is so corrupted, possibly you'll get an error, however I've never exactly seen this.

J Harp
April 21st, 2013, 11:04 PM
I tried that, got the msg. no such file or directory. When I do whereis ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop-i386.iso, I just get the file name back.

When I downloaded, I saw no option to send the download to a folder or directory, it just went into downloads. If there is such an option which I missed, I'll remove that download and try again.

Thanks for your response.

Jim

mörgæs
April 23rd, 2013, 02:33 PM
Please post the exact command you tried.

grahammechanical
April 23rd, 2013, 03:04 PM
May I suggest that you burn the ISO image to DVD/USB and run it. If it works, then it works! I have never checked the md5sum and I have tested many ISO images of the development release. I have had failures due to bugs in the Live session and in the Installer but never due to a bad download.

OH, by the way, when you ran that command to get the ms5sum of the ISO image were you in the Downloads directory? Did you cd Downloads?

Regards.

J Harp
April 23rd, 2013, 04:02 PM
Morgaes; Sorry, don't have the keyboard characters handy to properly spell your name.

the command I used was ubuntu@ubuntu-desktop:~$ cd Downloads. also tried md5sum ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop:~$ cd Downloads.

I just stick with plain old Ubuntu, too many varieties of things are confusing to me, I'm easily confused anyway. Mostly I just use it and don't tinker with it unless necessary. I'm not really comfortable with using the command line.

grahammechanical;

cd downloads is on the end of both the commands listed above. Should I do cd downloads as a separate command before going to md5sum? In one of my previous installs, I had to make 3 CD's to get one that would work, I did md5sum on one which worked.

Thank you both

Jim

mörgæs
April 23rd, 2013, 07:04 PM
The command should be
md5sum ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop.iso or something like that.

If you stand in the download directory, write for example
md5sum ubuntu-12 and push the TAB key then the rest of the word appears automagically (provided you don't have files with a similar name in the directory).

J Harp
April 23rd, 2013, 09:10 PM
Thanks, I like that automagic stuff, especially when it does what I want it to do. I'll give it a try a bit later.

I'll try the install when I get an up to date backup done, whether I get the file image verified or not.

Jim