PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Xubuntu+Openbox

PsionicBOOM
April 21st, 2013, 09:15 PM
Hello,

I'm just looking for peoples' experience after replacing xfwm with openbox, in Xubuntu.
What did you like about it? What did you not like about it?
Did you find things to be more snappy? annoying? pretty? ugly?

What version of Xubuntu were you using?

I'm not looking for you to address my particular situation as much as simply sharing your own experience.

Thank you!

TenPlus1
April 22nd, 2013, 09:05 AM
I use Lubuntu 13.04 beta 2 on my main desktop and enjoy the simplicity, speed and low memory footprint of using Openbox... It just works :)

m4gnus
April 23rd, 2013, 12:50 AM
I'll get back to you on this hopefully tomorrow. I have been having serious thoughts about sitting and working on fixing up my Xubuntu 12.10 install with openbox.
I already enjoyed openbox after testing CrunchBang extensively and would definitely like to try and borrow all the graphical settings from that and import them into my laptop.

Were you asking this because you wish to do that switch? Or have already made that switch?

SantaFe
April 23rd, 2013, 02:01 AM
I'm Running Xubuntu 12.10 with Xfce and also LXDE. In LXDE I went the other way. I replaced Openbox with XFWM4. ;)

Just never liked Openbox as a window manager for some reason. ;)

PsionicBOOM
April 23rd, 2013, 10:21 PM
Thank you for all your replies!

Were you asking this because you wish to do that switch? Or have already made that switch?

I personally use Lubuntu, because it works better on my machine. I've noticed that Flash works better for me, using Openbox rather than any other window manager, not dramatically but significant enough. I was asking because I've been thinking about making the switch on the computer which is used by my mom. I have Xubuntu installed on it, for a number of reasons, but I was looking to squeeze even more performance out of it for all the Flash games she plays on Facebook :rolleyes: