PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade Bug: Upgrade from 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS did not end gracefully

Krallus
April 21st, 2013, 07:31 PM
Hello. I used the software update manager in 10.04 LTS to upgrade to 12.04 LTS. It seemed to be going fine until it got to the clean-up phase. Either just before or just after the clean-up phase (I couldn't tell if it reached completion), the upgrade status window disappeared and was replaced by an unreadable prompt. The prompt had a red X graphic in it on the upper left, and a button on the lower right. All the text and labels were unreadable: just square blocks. I took a chance and clicked the button which caused the prompt to disappear but nothing else happened. The shutdown menu was in the "reboot required" state so I rebooted. Everything seems okay at the moment, but I've only just started to check things out. I'm a little concern about the way the upgrade ended as it appeared to abort during clean-up so I don't know if it reached a point where it should have started auto-configuring. Any suggestions? In any case, this is a bug that should be fixed.

As an aside, I'm not sure I like the new interface but I'm willing to give it a try - my immediate first impression is: great, look at all those icons, but what happened to the convenient menu to pull down my list of favourite places, the menu for all the programs, and what!?: no bar at the bottom to manage a list of open windows?!

ibjsb4
April 21st, 2013, 07:36 PM
You can try an update, see if it kicks anything back at ya.

As for the new desktop, thats Unity. You can install gnome-classic, thats like your old 10.04 desktop.

sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseGnomeClassicTweaks

kostkon
April 22nd, 2013, 01:11 AM
Clean-up just removes uneeded packages, empties the cache, etc.

You can do it yourself, it's 100% safe and it will free up space:

sudo apt-get autoremove
then

sudo apt-get clean