PDA

View Full Version : The reason a mac still tempts me

atezun
July 11th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Now it's truly applications like this that make me love the mac os.

http://www.equinux.com/us/products/mediacentral/new_in_20.html

Now this is something I'd like to see in Ubuntu. A true one stop shop for all my time wasting needs. I wonder if how easy this would be to do in python. Oh how I wish I was a better programmer.

basketcase
July 12th, 2006, 02:06 AM
MythTV is probably the closest thing...But I do like the MAC

prizrak
July 12th, 2006, 03:28 AM
As said above Myth would probably be able to take care of all of that. I'm not a fan of Apple because of the image and pricing.

basketcase
July 12th, 2006, 03:31 AM
As said above Myth would probably be able to take care of all of that. I'm not a fan of Apple because of the image and pricing.
Image?

The prices are definitely out of my range, but my friend has 3 of them, and I like a lot of things about them, just not the price

prizrak
July 12th, 2006, 04:09 AM
Image?

The prices are definitely out of my range, but my friend has 3 of them, and I like a lot of things about them, just not the price
The whole, alternative, hip, unconventional image that Apple has been trying, successfuly I must add, to create for years. Look at the Mac vs PC commercials the Mac is all casual and stuff and PC is wearing a suit. Not to mention the whole think different compaign. Things like that tend to turn me off as I view them as pretentious and hypocritical as Apple is more closed than PC ever was and is very much out to make a profit just like MS.

sagarhshah
July 12th, 2006, 04:32 AM
I like mediacentral.
Wish there was a linux version. Then I could kick mac os off my computer.

mythtv is pretty good but mediacentral is perfect.

basketcase
July 12th, 2006, 04:34 AM
I like mediacentral.
Wish there was a linux version. Then I could kick mac os off my computer.

mythtv is pretty good but mediacentral is perfect.
Curious what you think Mythtv lacks. The only reason I ask is I've been collecting parts to build a box to see for myself, but always looking for something better.

Thanks!

f1dave
July 12th, 2006, 07:34 AM
The whole, alternative, hip, unconventional image that Apple has been trying, successfuly I must add, to create for years. Look at the Mac vs PC commercials the Mac is all casual and stuff and PC is wearing a suit. Not to mention the whole think different compaign. Things like that tend to turn me off as I view them as pretentious and hypocritical as Apple is more closed than PC ever was and is very much out to make a profit just like MS.

Like I say in this thread (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=213074&page=5), marketing on the whole really annoys me... but it's not just marketing either, it's the way people react to it.

If somebody says "buy X because it's cool, and it has a,b,c", and you buy it because they tell you to, it's probably not such a good thing. But to not buy it because of the marketing is very much in the same boat! Surely, one should take a look at the product themselves, and decide for themselves on the products merits, not because of what a spin doctor says.

Yes, I do not believe Microsoft is the best company in the world, and their products and marketing do annoy me. But I still have a copy of windows- why? Because as a programmer and designer I still need to be able to support and use a platform that nigh on everybody uses!

</rant> :)

That's not directed at you by the way prizrak, it's just a pet annoyance of my own. :)

tseliot
July 12th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Something like this?

http://www.fluendo.com/elisa/

prizrak
July 12th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Like I say in this thread (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=213074&page=5), marketing on the whole really annoys me... but it's not just marketing either, it's the way people react to it.

If somebody says "buy X because it's cool, and it has a,b,c", and you buy it because they tell you to, it's probably not such a good thing. But to not buy it because of the marketing is very much in the same boat! Surely, one should take a look at the product themselves, and decide for themselves on the products merits, not because of what a spin doctor says.

Yes, I do not believe Microsoft is the best company in the world, and their products and marketing do annoy me. But I still have a copy of windows- why? Because as a programmer and designer I still need to be able to support and use a platform that nigh on everybody uses!

</rant> :)

That's not directed at you by the way prizrak, it's just a pet annoyance of my own. :)

That's cool all of us got pet peeves. I do see your point, the marketing is just an extra annoyance really the thing that bothers me the most is the price tag on something that aside from the OS is no different from your average ThinkPad.

sagarhshah
July 13th, 2006, 04:19 AM
Curious what you think Mythtv lacks. The only reason I ask is I've been collecting parts to build a box to see for myself, but always looking for something better.

Thanks!

There isnt much to separate mythtv from mediacentral. mediacentral will automatically download new trailers and clips from the likes of google and youtube(i like that feature). and theres windows media support.

I have both at home.

I have a myth tv frontend box for my living room. I love the emulators on it for snes. I also like the ad detection and skip feature.

Unfortunately for mediacentral it only works on a mac and the majority of computer users dont have macs.

theres a good howto for linux mythtv based pvr system using a pc backend and an xbox frontend at http://www.ukdave.com

Sagar