PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] gnome shell ceased to be

nevle
April 21st, 2013, 09:20 AM
hi, i have 12.04 installed on my laptop and after auto shut down due to a flat battery (oops) gnome shell no longer a works. When i log in it appears as gnome desktop (i think) unity also is broken, no 3d effects, hot corner etc just standard gnome. It appears that something in the background is corrupt but i don't know how to go about fixing it. Any advice? thanks

Frogs Hair
April 21st, 2013, 02:32 PM
If you have terminal access Ctrl + Alt + T in Unity try the following. The Gnome Shell has 3D requirements but, doesn't use Compiz , so I don't know the reason that it's not working.

Reset Unity:
unity --reset
Reset Compiz if needed:
sudo gconftool --recursive-unset /apps/compiz-1

nevle
April 22nd, 2013, 09:06 AM
thanks, but didnt work, error "root visual is nor GL visual" and then "GLX missing on display 0:0" I reinstalled compiz but no change. I don't want to reinstall the OS , anyone?

Frogs Hair
April 22nd, 2013, 01:30 PM
Post some information about you computer & video driver and put it in code tags using # on the reply tool bar if you still have terminal access .

General
lspci -v

Graphics card:
lspci

nevle
April 28th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Hi,i decided to upgrade to 12.10 in the hope that this would fix the problem, upgrade went very smoothly and computer back to normal. I appreciate all the help, thanks.

Frogs Hair
April 28th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Glad it worked out !