PDA

View Full Version : Rename All Files in a Folder Numerically

_user
April 20th, 2013, 05:39 PM
I have about 13000 files in a folder with names following this pattern: newaaaapmr, newaaaapms, newaaaapmt. No extensions.

I'd like to rename all the files numerically from 1-13000. How would I go about doing this?

cybergalvez
April 20th, 2013, 05:57 PM
I'm sure there is a quick bash script that can do this, but considering im not that good with bash I would write a quick python script to do it. something like this:

import os, sys

files = os.listdir(sys.argv[1]) # use the full path to the folder as an arugument to the script
files.sort()
n=1
for f in files:
os.rename(f, n)
n += 1

Vaphell
April 20th, 2013, 07:30 PM
do you need fixed width (0-padded) as in 00001-13000? printf %05d will do that, if you don't need it you can replace whole $( printf ... $i ) with $i alone

i=1; for f in *; do echo mv "$f" "$( printf "%05d" $i )"; ((i++)); done

if the printout is ok remove echo to actually rename files.

steeldriver
April 20th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Might it be worth adding a 'plain file' test - in case the directory contains subdirectories that are not to be included in the sequential rename?

i=1; for f in *; do if [ -f "$f" ]; then echo mv "$f" "$( printf "%05d" $i )"; ((i++)); fi; done

Or if the target files all have the "new" prefix we could be even more specific

i=1; for f in new*; do if [ -f "$f" ]; then echo mv "$f" "$( printf "%05d" $i )"; ((i++)); fi; done

Vaphell
April 20th, 2013, 07:48 PM
good point, better safe than sorry
one could also write the condition as [ -f "$f" ] || continue;

uc50_ic4more
April 20th, 2013, 07:50 PM
I think both the (GTK-based) "pyrenamer" and "gprename" applications, available through the Software Centre, could assist you.

_user
April 20th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Great answers - always informative to get input from different people. Much appreciated.

I used the answer from Vaphell and it worked perfectly for my use case.