PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] KDE Plasma uninstalled: why is the startup graphic still there?

blanka32
April 19th, 2013, 02:24 PM
So i installed the KDE plasma notebook package from the software center to try out the new GUI, but I didn't like it so I took it off. I still have some graphics stuck on the KDE settings though. And I guess thats somewhat tolerable, but when I start up my laptop, instead of the traditional purple ubuntu loading screen i get the KDE gears on a gray background. Note: this is after I 'removed' the KDE package. How do I get the old startup screen back?

zombifier25
April 19th, 2013, 02:35 PM
That's because when KDE was installed, it made Plymouth (the program that shows Ubuntu's loading screen) to use the KDE theme. You can use a GUI program to do it (such as Ubuntu Tweak), but I recommend the CLI way, since it only requires copying and pasting these commands into the terminal. Run this command:

sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth
Choose the number that says ubuntu-logo. When done run:

sudo update-initramfs -u
to apply the changes.

matt_symes
April 19th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Hi

Open a terminal and type

sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth

It will give you a list of splash screen. Select the one for Ubuntu

ubuntu-logo.plymouth

Then update the initramfs.

sudo update-initramfs -u

EDIT: Just beaten to the trigger :)

Kind regards

ibjsb4
April 19th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Just removing the Plasma package wil not remove everything, as you found out. Thats a bunch of packages and dependencies.

Level 1
http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/kde-plasma-desktop

You should be able to remove kde with this link.
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/pureubuntu

If you have any kde packages you would like to keep, you will have to reinstall them. That link removes everything kde.

Edit: Whats your opinion Matt?

blanka32
April 22nd, 2013, 03:01 PM
So using your advice has helped. The one thing that is still missing is the 'desktop background' option from my system settings menu. It disappeared after I installed KDE and uninstalling it in its entirety did not help either. I don't know if there are other features missing that I am unaware of at this moment.