PDA

View Full Version : Excessive use of AutoCompletion

ironfistchamp
July 11th, 2006, 09:24 PM
After starting to use linux and the terminal I find that I try to use AutoComplete everywhere. Here is a list of places I try to use it.

Office programs
Windows
Google
The address bar
When posting (mainly for typing out commands)
On forms
In emails
When coding

And many other places. Do other people find this? If so where do you try and use it?

Dr. Falken
July 11th, 2006, 11:40 PM
jajajajajajaja... Me too!

My finger is always aimed to the Tab key for autocompletion... But, there are other funny things, such as try to use some vi commands (":wq" as an example) outside it :p

Too much linux??? Maybe!

El doc

darwish
July 11th, 2006, 11:57 PM
LOL, not only the auto-completion feature.It happens to me when writing a mail in gmail and typing ctrl-x ctrl-s to save the mail or ctrl-k to cut a line. We are addicted I think :D

briancurtin
July 12th, 2006, 01:05 AM
But, there are other funny things, such as try to use some vi commands (":wq" as an example) outside it :p

Too much linux??? Maybe!

El doc
i am the exact same way. i use windows at work and sometimes after typing an email into outlook i will hit ESC to get out of insert mode...

ive sent a few emails with "Sincerely,dd" in them when i realize i dont want to put a salutation...but i hit send too fast. dd = delete line in vi for those who dont know.

ironfistchamp
July 12th, 2006, 09:06 AM
I find I use Ctrl Shift and C alot because I am used to pasting things into the GNOME terminal. Then I always wonder why it didn't work. :p

Hanj
July 12th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I always try to use vim commands wherever I type something. Don't know how many times I've found myself hitting esc before saving something in Gedit :roll:

B0rsuk
July 12th, 2006, 12:02 PM
A little offtopic, but:

# use CTRL-L to get straight to location(navigation) bar in mozilla, konqueror etc.

# use CTRL-T to open a new tab in mozilla, konqueror etc.

# use CTRL-PGUP and CTRL-PGDOWN to switch between tabs in mozilla, konqueror etc

# use alt-tab to switch between applications, at least in KDE

# use CTRL-F(1,2,3...) to switch between virtual desktops in KDE

.... and you rarely need to use mouse, not to mention it's faster.

mcduck
July 12th, 2006, 12:33 PM
I'm also continuously hitting the tab button when using windows at work. But I also try to copy&paste everything by selecting it and clicking the middle button to paste, which of course doesn't do anything in Windows. And I do this about 50 times every day ](*,)

siimo
July 12th, 2006, 01:22 PM
IntelliJ IDEA and Visual studio 2005 intellisense/autocomplete pwns all 8)

mazirian
July 12th, 2006, 02:19 PM
If you think that's bad, install zsh. I try hitting the tab key while driving my car now whenever I have even a moment of indecision. It's rotting my brain.

jayemef
July 12th, 2006, 02:29 PM
I find myself typing 'exit' to close gaim windows ALL the time. Imagine the confusion on the other end!

But I also try to copy&paste everything by selecting it and clicking the middle button to paste, which of course doesn't do anything in Windows. And I do this about 50 times every day ](*,)
This absolutely plagues me. I use this style of copy and paste so much, and it drives me nuts being at work and not having that at my disposal.

bruce89
July 12th, 2006, 02:31 PM
But I also try to copy&paste everything by selecting it and clicking the middle button to paste...
I didn't realise that shortcut, thanks!

Miguel
July 12th, 2006, 02:37 PM
I'm also continuously hitting the tab button when using windows at work. But I also try to copy&paste everything by selecting it and clicking the middle button to paste, which of course doesn't do anything in Windows. And I do this about 50 times every day ](*,)

Yeaaaahhh. The middle-click copy-paste thing really rock. I really don't know how people live without this feature. Whenever I use my girlfriend's PC (WinXP) or I boot into windows for something other than gaming (really rare, especially now that I can play BG2 in linux) I find myself using all those keyboard commands. And tab key autocompletion is priceless. But to top it all, in both linux and OS X, you can go directly to tabs by pressing Alt+"number" (alt+1 goes to first tab, alt+2 to the second...). Imagine my frustration when I find this doesn't work in windows.

Oh, keyboard, do I love you or what?.

3rdalbum
July 12th, 2006, 03:58 PM
I've gotten so used to the excellent auto-completion in Fish, that on the rare occasion that I'm using Bash I try to auto-complete program parameters :-)

Somehow, on Windows I've never tried to do the middle-click-paste; however I've clicked on the system tray in Windows, trying to get to another desktop!

ironfistchamp
July 12th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Wow I thought I had it bad :p