PDA

View Full Version : Is there a good Skype app for 12.04LTS?

alhefner
April 18th, 2013, 05:27 PM
I can't find anything that looks like a Skype app in the software center for 12.;04LTS. It's not a huge problem but, it would be nice to have if one is available somewhere.

plucky
April 18th, 2013, 05:41 PM
I can't find anything that looks like a Skype app in the software center for 12.;04LTS. It's not a huge problem but, it would be nice to have if one is available somewhere.

If you enable the partner repository in Software Sources you should be able to install Skype

Good Luck

fantab
April 18th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Enable Partner Sources, as plucky said and also enable Independent Sources. (These Sources will enable you install applications that are not available through Ubuntu repositories. These applications are mostly 'closed source', for instance Skype, Adobe reader, etc..., there are other licence restrictions why Ubuntu does not give these apps through its main repos... )

Then you have to run:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install skype

From the TERMINAL [Ctrl+Alt+T]

alhefner
April 18th, 2013, 07:11 PM
If you enable the partner repository in Software Sources you should be able to install Skype

Good Luck

OK, how do I do that? I looked in the "Software Center" and didn't find anything there to enable. Is it something I need to access through the web browser or is it a system setting of some kind I need to set through the terminal, or what?

I'm still trying to learn how to navigate Ubuntu and Linux in geneal.

uzumakifahim
April 18th, 2013, 07:14 PM
You can also download skype from their official website. You can click here (http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-computer/) and select Ubuntu 12.04 (multiarch) from the "Choose your distribution" dropdown menu.

Kopkins
April 18th, 2013, 07:42 PM
It should be in settings. System Settings > Software & Sources, in the first tab you shoud have a series of checkboxes.

Good luck

Kopkins

kostkon
April 18th, 2013, 08:13 PM
OK, how do I do that? I looked in the "Software Center" and didn't find anything there to enable. Is it something I need to access through the web browser or is it a system setting of some kind I need to set through the terminal, or what?

I'm still trying to learn how to navigate Ubuntu and Linux in geneal.
In the software centre, select Edit → Software Sources from the menu.

Also, if you'd like to integrate it better in Ubuntu, then check Skype Wrapper (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/09/skype-wrapper-for-ubuntu-gets-updated).

alhefner
April 19th, 2013, 10:13 AM
It should be in settings. System Settings > Software & Sources, in the first tab you shoud have a series of checkboxes.

Good luck

Kopkins

Got no "Software & Sources" in the software center at all. No menu either. Hmmm... what to do, what to do. Seems very limiting.

3rdalbum
April 19th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Software Sources is in the Edit menu of Ubuntu Software Center. Remember, the menus are at the top of the screen not the top of the window, and the menus are only visible when you actually move your mouse to the top panel.

You could also tap the Alt key and type "software", and the third result from the top is Software Sources.

fantab
April 19th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Got no "Software & Sources" in the software center at all. No menu either. Hmmm... what to do, what to do. Seems very limiting.

Okay, the application to edit 'sources is called, "Update Manager", you can search for it from DASH. After you've opened the Update-Manager at the bottom you will find "Settings" click on it then "Other" and enable the required Sources. See the screen-shot below:

241534 241535

3rdalbum
April 19th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Okay, the application to edit 'sources is called, "Software & Updates", you can search for it from DASH. See the screen-shot:

I know you mean well, but your instructions are just confusing the poor chap. He's using 12.04, you're using 13.04. You can't get to Software Sources from the Dash in 12.04.

fantab
April 19th, 2013, 05:38 PM
I know you mean well, but your instructions are just confusing the poor chap. He's using 12.04, you're using 13.04. You can't get to Software Sources from the Dash in 12.04.

Thank you for pointing it out. My Bad.

I have edited my post to reflect what to do in 12.04.

alhefner
April 19th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Managed to change the software sources like you guys have suggested. Still not finding anything for Skype though. Like I said, it's not a really big issue, jut something that would be nice to have. I'll check out the other links provided in earlier replies to this and see what happens...

philinux
April 19th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Managed to change the software sources like you guys have suggested. Still not finding anything for Skype though. Like I said, it's not a really big issue, jut something that would be nice to have. I'll check out the other links provided in earlier replies to this and see what happens...

Now you need to do this.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install skype

For anyone else on 12.04

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-skype-in-ubuntu-12-04precise.html

alhefner
April 19th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Now you need to do this.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install skype

For anyone else on 12.04

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-skype-in-ubuntu-12-04precise.html

Well, now, ain't that somethin! \\:D/ Thanks! It seemed to work like a champ!