PDA

View Full Version : I don't like the new forum navigation!

t0p
April 18th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Title says it all? I'll go on anyway: I can't figure it out. The old drop-down menu at the bottom of the page made sense, now all I can see is the "Top" button that doesn't seem to offer a useful navigation tool. Am I stupidly missing something obvious? Or what?

Cheers.

coffeecat
April 18th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Do you not see the Quick Navigation drop-down to the left of the top button? It's helpfully labelled Quick Navigation and the actual dropdown shows the name of the page you are on - "Forum Feedback & Help" on this page. Click on the actual drop-down and you will see a list of all the sub-forums plus some site areas at the top such as settings (the old UserCP) and Private Messages. The only difference from the old pre-upgrade version (as far as I recall) is that it defaults to the top of the list when you click on it whereas before it set the scrollbar to show you the current page.

The top button takes you to the top of the page - useful when you have a long page such as a long thread or forum thread listing. Many websites have top buttons.

arpanaut
April 18th, 2013, 08:54 PM
The big difference is as I see it for ease of navigation is the non-stickiness of the menu, and the presence of top instead of go.
My old MO for navigating a very long thread was when I got to the end, I could just hit go and it would take me to the main page of that sub-forum.
Very convenient to continue reading in a particular forum. (P.S. when I do want top I hit home on kb or scrool to the bottom of page)

Quick Nav. works well if you are browsing at the top of the forum's list, but when at the bottom like here or the cafe etc. you have to scroll so far it is not worth using that function. (EDIT: I now see that the menu has now changed a bit so scrolling is not that big an issue) but still...
So bringing back the stickiness would be good.

I brought this up during the testing of vb4, but at the time it was not very important, comparatively.
But seeing that someone else has brought it up, I guess I'll just put in my little whine...
It does irritate the bejezeus out of me.

Please,
Thank You!

t0p
May 5th, 2013, 01:22 PM
The big difference is as I see it for ease of navigation is the non-stickiness of the menu, and the presence of top instead of go.
My old MO for navigating a very long thread was when I got to the end, I could just hit go and it would take me to the main page of that sub-forum.
Very convenient to continue reading in a particular forum. (P.S. when I do want top I hit home on kb or scrool to the bottom of page)

Quick Nav. works well if you are browsing at the top of the forum's list, but when at the bottom like here or the cafe etc. you have to scroll so far it is not worth using that function. (EDIT: I now see that the menu has now changed a bit so scrolling is not that big an issue) but still...
So bringing back the stickiness would be good.
!

Yes, that's what I want too. Stickiness. I want to be sticky. My goodness, doesn't that look/sound odd when you read/say it: "I want to be sticky"? Solution: go smear honey all over my body. So no need to change the forum interface!

Seriously though, stickiness is good if you are using subforums lower down the menu such as the Cafe. Maybe the rulers could move the Cafe's position on the list? Please? Pretty please? ;)